Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
One of the feel good stories of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft occurred when the New Jersey Devils acquired the 208th overall pick so that future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur could personally draft his son, Anthony.
The 18-year-old Brodeur is a goaltender like his father and in his first season with the QMJHL Gatineau Olympiques. It will be a while before we’ll know if he’ll end up following in his Dad’s footsteps by playing between the pipes for the Devils, but he recently got some attention for his 194:28 minute shutout streak.
That’s the third longest run in the history of the QMJHL and roughly double Martin Brodeur’s best streak in the juniors, according to the Bergen Record.
“He called me right away to say, ‘Hey Dad, I beat you,’” the elder Brodeur said.
Anthony has a 2.72 GAA and .895 save percentage as a rookie. Those numbers might sound terrible if you compare them to the NHL, but for the sake of context, keep in mind that among QMJHL eligible goalies, the top GAA is 2.41 and only three netminders are below 2.75.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)