Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
One of the feel good stories of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft occurred when the New Jersey Devils acquired the 208th overall pick so that future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur could personally draft his son, Anthony.
The 18-year-old Brodeur is a goaltender like his father and in his first season with the QMJHL Gatineau Olympiques. It will be a while before we’ll know if he’ll end up following in his Dad’s footsteps by playing between the pipes for the Devils, but he recently got some attention for his 194:28 minute shutout streak.
That’s the third longest run in the history of the QMJHL and roughly double Martin Brodeur’s best streak in the juniors, according to the Bergen Record.
“He called me right away to say, ‘Hey Dad, I beat you,’” the elder Brodeur said.
Anthony has a 2.72 GAA and .895 save percentage as a rookie. Those numbers might sound terrible if you compare them to the NHL, but for the sake of context, keep in mind that among QMJHL eligible goalies, the top GAA is 2.41 and only three netminders are below 2.75.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)