Jan 12, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
One of the feel good stories of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft occurred when the New Jersey Devils acquired the 208th overall pick so that future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur could personally draft his son, Anthony.
The 18-year-old Brodeur is a goaltender like his father and in his first season with the QMJHL Gatineau Olympiques. It will be a while before we’ll know if he’ll end up following in his Dad’s footsteps by playing between the pipes for the Devils, but he recently got some attention for his 194:28 minute shutout streak.
That’s the third longest run in the history of the QMJHL and roughly double Martin Brodeur’s best streak in the juniors, according to the Bergen Record.
“He called me right away to say, ‘Hey Dad, I beat you,’” the elder Brodeur said.
Anthony has a 2.72 GAA and .895 save percentage as a rookie. Those numbers might sound terrible if you compare them to the NHL, but for the sake of context, keep in mind that among QMJHL eligible goalies, the top GAA is 2.41 and only three netminders are below 2.75.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)