Jan 12, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Earlier on Sunday, New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said that he believes Henrik Lundqvist is “back on track,” according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross. Some onlookers might ask the same question about the Rangers after seeing them take their third win in a row by beating the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 on NBCSN.
It’s not the only positive trend for the up-and-down Rangers, either.
The Blueshirts have also won six of their last eight (6-1-1) and eight of 11 (8-2-1) contests. Overall, they’re now at 24-20-3 after beating the comparably hot Flyers (23-19-4, just three losses since Dec. 23 including tonight).
They’re also 4-0-1 in their last five home games, which is definitely a promising sign considering how long things sagged during grimmer stretches at Madison Square Garden.
There were some nice goals, no doubt,* but many will be excited by the increased “fight” they saw from the Rangers. That included an end-of-the-game scrum and also this bout between Daniel Carcillo and Luke Schenn:
The Rangers jumped above the Flyers for third in the jarringly inconsistent Metropolitan Division, but if these two teams – not to mention the surging New York Islanders – show us anything, it’s that it’s probably not safe to assume much.
Although they’ll probably fight each other a lot either way.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)