Jan 12, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Earlier on Sunday, New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said that he believes Henrik Lundqvist is “back on track,” according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross. Some onlookers might ask the same question about the Rangers after seeing them take their third win in a row by beating the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 on NBCSN.
It’s not the only positive trend for the up-and-down Rangers, either.
The Blueshirts have also won six of their last eight (6-1-1) and eight of 11 (8-2-1) contests. Overall, they’re now at 24-20-3 after beating the comparably hot Flyers (23-19-4, just three losses since Dec. 23 including tonight).
They’re also 4-0-1 in their last five home games, which is definitely a promising sign considering how long things sagged during grimmer stretches at Madison Square Garden.
There were some nice goals, no doubt,* but many will be excited by the increased “fight” they saw from the Rangers. That included an end-of-the-game scrum and also this bout between Daniel Carcillo and Luke Schenn:
The Rangers jumped above the Flyers for third in the jarringly inconsistent Metropolitan Division, but if these two teams – not to mention the surging New York Islanders – show us anything, it’s that it’s probably not safe to assume much.
Although they’ll probably fight each other a lot either way.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)