Jan 12, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Earlier on Sunday, New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said that he believes Henrik Lundqvist is “back on track,” according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross. Some onlookers might ask the same question about the Rangers after seeing them take their third win in a row by beating the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 on NBCSN.
It’s not the only positive trend for the up-and-down Rangers, either.
The Blueshirts have also won six of their last eight (6-1-1) and eight of 11 (8-2-1) contests. Overall, they’re now at 24-20-3 after beating the comparably hot Flyers (23-19-4, just three losses since Dec. 23 including tonight).
They’re also 4-0-1 in their last five home games, which is definitely a promising sign considering how long things sagged during grimmer stretches at Madison Square Garden.
There were some nice goals, no doubt,* but many will be excited by the increased “fight” they saw from the Rangers. That included an end-of-the-game scrum and also this bout between Daniel Carcillo and Luke Schenn:
The Rangers jumped above the Flyers for third in the jarringly inconsistent Metropolitan Division, but if these two teams – not to mention the surging New York Islanders – show us anything, it’s that it’s probably not safe to assume much.
Although they’ll probably fight each other a lot either way.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)