Jan 12, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Earlier on Sunday, New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said that he believes Henrik Lundqvist is “back on track,” according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross. Some onlookers might ask the same question about the Rangers after seeing them take their third win in a row by beating the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 on NBCSN.
It’s not the only positive trend for the up-and-down Rangers, either.
The Blueshirts have also won six of their last eight (6-1-1) and eight of 11 (8-2-1) contests. Overall, they’re now at 24-20-3 after beating the comparably hot Flyers (23-19-4, just three losses since Dec. 23 including tonight).
They’re also 4-0-1 in their last five home games, which is definitely a promising sign considering how long things sagged during grimmer stretches at Madison Square Garden.
There were some nice goals, no doubt,* but many will be excited by the increased “fight” they saw from the Rangers. That included an end-of-the-game scrum and also this bout between Daniel Carcillo and Luke Schenn:
The Rangers jumped above the Flyers for third in the jarringly inconsistent Metropolitan Division, but if these two teams – not to mention the surging New York Islanders – show us anything, it’s that it’s probably not safe to assume much.
Although they’ll probably fight each other a lot either way.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 24
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 28
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)