Jan 12, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Earlier on Sunday, New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault said that he believes Henrik Lundqvist is “back on track,” according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross. Some onlookers might ask the same question about the Rangers after seeing them take their third win in a row by beating the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 on NBCSN.
It’s not the only positive trend for the up-and-down Rangers, either.
The Blueshirts have also won six of their last eight (6-1-1) and eight of 11 (8-2-1) contests. Overall, they’re now at 24-20-3 after beating the comparably hot Flyers (23-19-4, just three losses since Dec. 23 including tonight).
They’re also 4-0-1 in their last five home games, which is definitely a promising sign considering how long things sagged during grimmer stretches at Madison Square Garden.
There were some nice goals, no doubt,* but many will be excited by the increased “fight” they saw from the Rangers. That included an end-of-the-game scrum and also this bout between Daniel Carcillo and Luke Schenn:
The Rangers jumped above the Flyers for third in the jarringly inconsistent Metropolitan Division, but if these two teams – not to mention the surging New York Islanders – show us anything, it’s that it’s probably not safe to assume much.
Although they’ll probably fight each other a lot either way.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)