Jan 11, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
Bad luck seems to follow Lightning defenseman Sami Salo.
Salo left this afternoon’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a lower-body injury and will not return. Salo was struck in the ankle by a shot during the first period and left the ice right away.
Salo, 39, had just returned from a separate injury that kept him out for four games on Jan. 5. If the injury is serious, it could also hurt his chances of playing for Team Finland in the Olympics.
Through his career, Salo has had a myriad of bad-luck injuries that have kept him out of action. Having them pile up like this late in his career seems like a cruel twist of fate.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)