Jan 11, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
Bad luck seems to follow Lightning defenseman Sami Salo.
Salo left this afternoon’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a lower-body injury and will not return. Salo was struck in the ankle by a shot during the first period and left the ice right away.
Salo, 39, had just returned from a separate injury that kept him out for four games on Jan. 5. If the injury is serious, it could also hurt his chances of playing for Team Finland in the Olympics.
Through his career, Salo has had a myriad of bad-luck injuries that have kept him out of action. Having them pile up like this late in his career seems like a cruel twist of fate.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 19
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54