Jan 11, 2014, 2:52 PM EST
Bad luck seems to follow Lightning defenseman Sami Salo.
Salo left this afternoon’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a lower-body injury and will not return. Salo was struck in the ankle by a shot during the first period and left the ice right away.
Salo, 39, had just returned from a separate injury that kept him out for four games on Jan. 5. If the injury is serious, it could also hurt his chances of playing for Team Finland in the Olympics.
Through his career, Salo has had a myriad of bad-luck injuries that have kept him out of action. Having them pile up like this late in his career seems like a cruel twist of fate.
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 48
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)