Jan 11, 2014, 2:52 PM EST
Bad luck seems to follow Lightning defenseman Sami Salo.
Salo left this afternoon’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers with a lower-body injury and will not return. Salo was struck in the ankle by a shot during the first period and left the ice right away.
Salo, 39, had just returned from a separate injury that kept him out for four games on Jan. 5. If the injury is serious, it could also hurt his chances of playing for Team Finland in the Olympics.
Through his career, Salo has had a myriad of bad-luck injuries that have kept him out of action. Having them pile up like this late in his career seems like a cruel twist of fate.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 3
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 2
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 55
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53