Jan 11, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks captain Ryan Getzlaf suffered a lower-body injury and won’t return to Saturday’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes.
Update: Getzlaf’s X-ray came up negative and the Ducks say that he’s day-to-day. That being said, he might not play on Sunday just to play it safe, the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports.
The team announced he’s being held out of the rest of that contest for “precautionary reasons.” Various observers believe that Getzlaf, 28, suffered the injury blocking a shot.
Getzlaf is on the best point-per-game pace (1.21, based on 52 points in 43 games played before tonight) of his NHL career as he gears up for the 2014 Winter Olympics. Assuming this injury isn’t a big problem, of course.
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)