Jan 11, 2014, 1:18 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind 2-0 to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday, but they fought back for a 4-3 OT win. It certainly seemed like the Oilers viewed it as a significant victory, too.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (two goals, one assist) thought that the victory proved the Oilers’ character. Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins believes that competing against Sidney Crosby proved something about RNH, too.
“He was motivated by it and he was able to contend with Sidney,” Eakins said. “I thought Nuge did an excellent job.”
Here’s video of the 20-year-old’s overtime-clincher:
Some, including 630 CHED’s Dan Tencer, believe that the turning point happened when Evgeni Malkin and Devan Dubnyk had a heated exchange. Whatever the case may be, it might just be a confidence-booster for an Oilers team that badly needs it.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)