Jan 11, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind 2-0 to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday, but they fought back for a 4-3 OT win. It certainly seemed like the Oilers viewed it as a significant victory, too.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (two goals, one assist) thought that the victory proved the Oilers’ character. Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins believes that competing against Sidney Crosby proved something about RNH, too.
“He was motivated by it and he was able to contend with Sidney,” Eakins said. “I thought Nuge did an excellent job.”
Here’s video of the 20-year-old’s overtime-clincher:
Some, including 630 CHED’s Dan Tencer, believe that the turning point happened when Evgeni Malkin and Devan Dubnyk had a heated exchange. Whatever the case may be, it might just be a confidence-booster for an Oilers team that badly needs it.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)