Jan 11, 2014, 1:18 AM EST
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind 2-0 to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday, but they fought back for a 4-3 OT win. It certainly seemed like the Oilers viewed it as a significant victory, too.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (two goals, one assist) thought that the victory proved the Oilers’ character. Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins believes that competing against Sidney Crosby proved something about RNH, too.
“He was motivated by it and he was able to contend with Sidney,” Eakins said. “I thought Nuge did an excellent job.”
Here’s video of the 20-year-old’s overtime-clincher:
Some, including 630 CHED’s Dan Tencer, believe that the turning point happened when Evgeni Malkin and Devan Dubnyk had a heated exchange. Whatever the case may be, it might just be a confidence-booster for an Oilers team that badly needs it.
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 0
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)