Jan 11, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind 2-0 to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday, but they fought back for a 4-3 OT win. It certainly seemed like the Oilers viewed it as a significant victory, too.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (two goals, one assist) thought that the victory proved the Oilers’ character. Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins believes that competing against Sidney Crosby proved something about RNH, too.
“He was motivated by it and he was able to contend with Sidney,” Eakins said. “I thought Nuge did an excellent job.”
Here’s video of the 20-year-old’s overtime-clincher:
Some, including 630 CHED’s Dan Tencer, believe that the turning point happened when Evgeni Malkin and Devan Dubnyk had a heated exchange. Whatever the case may be, it might just be a confidence-booster for an Oilers team that badly needs it.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7