Jan 11, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
John Tortorella went as far to say that the Vancouver Canucks were “fragile” on the heels of their losing streak climbing to five games, yet what does it say about a team when you win a dog fight?
However you describe it, the Canucks ended their five-game skid while the Blues saw their seven-game winning streak come to an end thanks to this result. Santorelli scored the clinching goal in the third period while Eddie Lack came through for Vancouver, making 30 out of 31 saves.
Really, the Canucks probably deserved better during their five-game lull. Three of those five contests ended beyond regulation and only won loss (3-1 against the Kings in Los Angeles) came by more than one goal.
The Canucks better rest this weekend, as the next week could be awfully trying; they face the Kings in Los Angeles again on Monday, the Ducks in Anaheim on Wednesday and then turn around for a road game against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday. In other words, Vancouver better be ready for another dog fight or three.
(Interestingly, the Blues face the same three opponents next week, although all three games take place in St. Louis and obviously in a different order).
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)