Jan 11, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
John Tortorella went as far to say that the Vancouver Canucks were “fragile” on the heels of their losing streak climbing to five games, yet what does it say about a team when you win a dog fight?
However you describe it, the Canucks ended their five-game skid while the Blues saw their seven-game winning streak come to an end thanks to this result. Santorelli scored the clinching goal in the third period while Eddie Lack came through for Vancouver, making 30 out of 31 saves.
Really, the Canucks probably deserved better during their five-game lull. Three of those five contests ended beyond regulation and only won loss (3-1 against the Kings in Los Angeles) came by more than one goal.
The Canucks better rest this weekend, as the next week could be awfully trying; they face the Kings in Los Angeles again on Monday, the Ducks in Anaheim on Wednesday and then turn around for a road game against the Phoenix Coyotes on Thursday. In other words, Vancouver better be ready for another dog fight or three.
(Interestingly, the Blues face the same three opponents next week, although all three games take place in St. Louis and obviously in a different order).
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)