With Rinaldo hurt, Flyers recall McGinn

Jan 10, 2014, 10:58 AM EST

Tye McGinn Getty Images

Philadelphia has recalled Tye McGinn from AHL Adirondack to replace Zac Rinaldo on the active roster.

McGinn, 23, has six goals and 12 points in 28 games with the Phantoms this year, and three goals in six games with the Flyers (at the time of his first demotion back to Adirondack, McGinn was actually leading Philly in scoring.)

He’ll likely slot into the lineup ASAP as Rinaldo, who was one of just nine Flyers to play in the first 44 games of the season, is out six weeks with a high ankle sprain. The ailment landed Rinaldo on IR alongside fellow forward Matt Read, currently sidelined with a concussion.

Philly doesn’t play again until a Saturday matinee at home against Tampa Bay. McGinn took Friday line rushes on the club’s fourth unit with Chris VandeVelde and Adam Hall, splitting time with Jay Rosehill.

1. toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM

nothing like swapping a turd for another turd

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM

toiletdrown knows all about turds.

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM

i sure do, alot of flyer articles on here

• laxman1944 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM

That’s because he is full of them…….

• philafly - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:29 PM

The more this mouthbreather posts, the more I think he has actually never watched a Flyers game.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM

it’s ok, he’ll fade out after a month just like every other PHT troll does when mommy turns off the Linksys and tells him to go play outside.

• chaser44 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Obviously you are the turdburgler, Mcginn is a good young power forward player. I think he has 15-20 goal potential. I believe he is only 22 or 23.

• cofran2004 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM

High fiving yourself again, I see… I dunno… In your shoes i’d probably be tempted to do the same thing. Having NO support for ANY of your opinions EVER must be tough.

2. hockey412 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I know this will start some bad juju but I really think this helps them. Rinaldo draws a lot of penalties, is definitely a heartsy player, and is cleaner than last year. But still has put the Flyers at a man disadvantage more times than anyone in the league except for only 4 others. Don’t know that I buy that he draws more than he takes.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:06 AM

his numbers on drawn vs taken were better last year than this. I agree though. I like Rinaldo (yes, I realize that’s probably only because he’s wearing my team’s sweater at the moment), but it’s time for McGinn’s second (third?) chance anyway.

http://www.extraskater.com has specific #s on drawn/taken, btw.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM

plus, I think McGinn is more Adam Hall’s speed. Rinaldo is as fast as anybody in the league almost and tends to overskate his linemates.

• narfmoo12 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM

That’s true when they try to break out on offense, but that’s rare. That 4th line is out there to play defense, clear the puck, and get off the ice. Rinaldo’s speed will definitely be missed on the PK.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM

yes but “That 4th line is out there to play defense, clear the puck, and get off the ice” is something that isn’t true for every team. if the Flyers want to be elite, they need 4th line production. I think there’s a real playmaker buried in Adam Hall somewhere and McGinn/VV/Hall could maybe be a threat if they’re allowed to be.

3. ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM

play McGinn vs the lightning. play Rosehill vs the Rangers and Sabres. may need that extra grit vs those two and I don’t wanna see McGinn get his face broke again.

• kastout11 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I agree 100%, especially with Rinaldo out and Carcillo likely to play. Plus Rangers/Flyers games to tend to get physical and sometimes out of control, you need someone aside from Simmonds who will drop the gloves. I also agree that McGinn needs to get another look. He will supply much more offense than Rinaldo.

• cofran2004 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

It’ll be nice to see a familiar face on Flyers this sunday. I’ll be in MSG with my sister (a flyers fan… sigh). I think I’m probably the strangest rangers fan you’ll ever meet… I don’t hate the Flyers. It’s hard to hate a team thats half-made up of players you rooted for when they were on your local AHL squad.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:05 PM

that’s why I can call myself somewhat of a Bolts fan too. Norfolk Admirals swapped affiliations a year or 2 ago from Bolts to Ducks, so all those new Bolts (Gudas, Palat, Panik, etc.) were guys I’ve seen 100x over.

• jettaron91vw - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM

And it must be odd that me, a born and raised flyers fan, doesn’t hate the rangers.

4. zta7991 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I think mcginn is a great player to have in the flyers system…I don’t think its to far of a stretch to say he would be a consistent 3rd or 4th line player on a bunch of nhl teams

5. blackandorangeforlife - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Wow this could spell the end for someone (Vande?)……Me thinks McGinn will step up even more this time around…..I have to think Chief does not think highly of him considering who has made the lineup over McGinn this season….He played very well up until he fought Thorton (he lost)….But it sure seemed like that fight lit a fire under his arse….One of the Flyers most physical forwards at the end of last season (after that fight)….He might not be the fighter Rosehill is but he is tough enough to continue to make Rosehill a healthy scratch!

6. zta7991 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM

unfortunately I don’t see him getting a lot of time up in the nhl with the flyers having sooooo many forwards that are not going to get sent down or traded and there has to be room for laughton next year

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:35 AM

coulda said the same about Laughton a year ago though.

• zta7991 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM

i still don’t see how they plan on making room for Laughton next year

• narfmoo12 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:59 AM

That’s a good problem to have though. With the emergence of Raffl, the Flyers have an extra forward, but Downie, Hall, and Vandevelde are unrestricted free agents, and Schenn and Raffl are restricted free agents. Laughton, Schenn and Raffl give the Flyers options to trade for a top defenseman if they can’t find one in free agency.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

If I’m being honest, I let Downie go. the only thing that’d change my mind is if he makes it blatantly obvious that he’s still been dealing with that concussion (even if it’s just him being hesitant), because I don’t think he’s been that great except for the one 2-week span that coots, read, and him tore it up. I think that was more on coots and Read tho.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

sorry for the run-on

• narfmoo12 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Downie needs to show some finishing touch. He’s getting stoned on a lot of point blank opportunities. If he scored any of those golden chances against Colorado, we’d probably have a better opinion of his play lately.

• zta7991 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I don’t see downie being here next year, I hope they keep hall, and I have a feeling schenn will be traded. I wish we could keep schenn but I just don’t see where they would put him with laughton coming up. unless of course like you said narfmoo12 they trade laughton or raffl but I think more teams are going to go for schenn in a deal rather than the other 2

• narfmoo12 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM

They definitely need to keep Hall … His ability in faceoffs is key in the defensive zone, and he has great chemistry with Giroux on the PK.

• chaser44 - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I really hope they do not trade Schenn, I think he is just showing us glimpses of what he has talent wise. I really think he needs another year before we see what he truely is. I know we have said that since he got here but he is not exactly old or a veteran. I think he will be worth the wait, a truly balanced player offensively and defensively. I like Hall as well, if we have to lose a foward to bring up Laughton next year I hope that its Hartnell. I think Hartnell is a 2nd or 3rd line player at this point.

7. zta7991 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM

but mcginn is not as fast as rinaldo…that is one thing rinaldo is great at (besides destroying people). his speed makes him someone who can muddle up the offence on the forecheck

• cofran2004 - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

McGinn has decent hands though. And he does have good break-out speed for a big guy. He’s scored a couple nifty breakaway goals in ADK this year. He’s also the perfect guy to park in front of the net… He’s hard to knock out of the way, as he’s big, knows it, and uses it to his advantage.

8. toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 12:13 PM

It’s pretty funny watching everyone on here debate which turd is polished more.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM

it’s pretty funny watching you think we care what you think. it’s even funnier that you’re consistently not saying a god damn thing with your posts. it’s even funnier that you thumbs up your own posts so at least you don’t get shut out.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM

and it’s even FUNNIER that you’re able to click the thumb up, but can’t seem to find the reply button.

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM

wow ibieiniid, i seem to have ruffled your feathers? im just giving my opinion, where i have the freedom to do so in america. you must be a canadian i assume

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM

once again, you’ve assumed incorrectly.

and ya, I’m giving my opinion on you being a worthless internet troll that seems to have absolutely zero hockey knowledge except for the fact that “YELLOW BLACK WHITE GOOD! ORANGE BLACK WHITE BAD!”

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM

“i seem to have ruffled your feathers?”

good question. wait…. what?

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM

i guess being from philadelphia really does lower your IQ. I understand now no hard feelings

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:05 PM

lmao. and again, you’ve assumed incorrectly. I’m from south Jersey.

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM

oh boy, thats even worse blue collar

• philafly - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I would LOVE to see your attempt at putting together a post that actually analyzes some aspect of a hockey game or a team, as most commenters on this site are capable of doing.

I think it would read something like: “I don’t understand that why a players always has a penalty for being in the blue line without a puck.”

Something along those lines.

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:41 PM

“why for has to blow whistle when puck gets put behind goalie foot line from far away?”

• philafly - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:49 PM

“I hate how after 5 minutes of overtime, the teams just let one another have all of these breakaways!!!”

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM

im with you philafly, not a fan of the shootout. your spot on

9. philafly - Jan 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM

It is spelled “you’re.” I thought we covered this a few days ago. You do know that they are different words, correct?

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM

lol please go to the story about Crosby today where he claimed he works for NASA and called me blue collar. it’s hilarious to me that he can’t grasp basic English rules.

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM

come on blue collar, leave my typing skills out of this. Im a very rich person and usually have my peasants type for me

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I’m speaking more about your brain skills. over your head again.

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:21 PM

dont you have some “engineering” to do? we laugh here at nasa at those underpayed mental midget engineers

• philafly - Jan 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I personally like how he ended a statement with a question mark (“i seem to have ruffled your feathers?”) and then when you called him out on it, he did not pick up on it and instead said that being from Philadelphia lowers your I.Q. The irony is astounding.

Keep up the good work toiletcleaner.

• laxman1944 - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Toilet…….What team are you a fan of??

• ibieiniid - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM

he’s a penguins fan. hates on every other team. i’m 90% sure he’s just an alternate handle of some tame-acting Pens fan. I’m thinking that dude steelers88

10. toiletclown - Jan 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM

come on blue collar, im not that guy

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches