Jan 10, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
On Saturday, Shawn Thornton will be eligible for his first game in over five weeks — and he’s already established how he wants to play in his return to action.
“I’ll be back to the way I played 500-plus regular-season and however many playoff games,” Thornton said, per the Boston Herald. “I crossed the line; it wasn’t the norm for me, and I’ll try not to ever do that again.”
Thornton, handed the NHL’s longest suspension of this season for attacking Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik on Dec. 7, served the final game of his punishment last night as the Bruins lost in Los Angeles, 4-2. He’ll be eligible to return this weekend when the B’s take on the Sharks in San Jose, a return that could coincide with Loui Eriksson — who was hit by Orpik in the same December game — coming back from a concussion.
It’s unclear if the Bruins will utilize Thornton immediately, however. The club could benefit from his veteran presence with the likes of Chris Kelly and Dennis Seidenberg out of the lineup, but the B’s did get some quality production from fill-in forwards Justin Florek and Matt Fraser on Thursday, as both scored in the loss to the Kings.
That said, Thornton sounds like a guy that’s ready to get back in.
“[I’ll] play within the lines, protect my teammates, fight when I have to, hopefully provide some productive minutes,” he said. “Create some energy and some chances, play physical and hard.”
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)