Jan 10, 2014, 2:45 AM EDT
Justin Fontaine was in the right spot at the right time, well, actually three different times Thursday night.
The Minnesota Wild’s 26-year-old forward scored the hat trick and his team picked up a 4-1 win over the Phoenix Coyotes, thanks in large to a third-period outburst that broke open a one-one deadlock after 40 minutes.
According to a tweet from the NHL, Fontaine becomes the first Wild rookie to record a hat trick.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)