Jan 10, 2014, 1:36 AM EDT
Exactly how goalies are flexible enough to do the splits on command and under pressure can sometimes be mind-boggling. It can be a spectacular sight to behold when the puck stays out of the net, too.
Washington Capitals goalie Philipp Grubauer did just that Thursday against the Tampa Bay Lightning, robbing Ondrej Palat on a two-on-one opportunity by doing the full splits and sliding to his right early in the third period.
It was a remarkable save, one that gave the Capitals a chance for the win.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2