Jan 10, 2014, 11:57 PM EST
Even before his first NHL game, Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy couldn’t help but rave about Nathan MacKinnon‘s speed. The top pick of the 2013 NHL Draft showed his explosiveness in an almost comical way against the New York Islanders on Friday:
The electric 18-year-old now has 15 goals (and possibly counting) in 44 games during his rookie campaign, and he might just finish the second half on a blazing pace; seven of his 15 goals have come in the last seven games.
Either way, the 2014 Calder Trophy frontrunner can add this highlight to his reel.
Update: The Islanders ended up winning thanks to the exploits of a speedy forward of their own. Michael Grabner scored the 2-1 OT winner to give the Isles three straight wins and victories in six of their last seven games:
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2