Jan 10, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT
The incident occurred with 1:53 left in the period, with the Sharks up by three goals. Cleary, trying to track down a puck in the slot in the San Jose end, threw out his right elbow, catching Hannan in the head, sending him to the ice.
Hannan got up and skated right for Cleary, dropping the gloves and pushing Cleary up against the glass.
Cleary was given a minor penalty for high sticking, minor for roughing and a fighting major on the play. Hannan was assessed a fighting major, an instigator and a game misconduct.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54