Jan 10, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT
The incident occurred with 1:53 left in the period, with the Sharks up by three goals. Cleary, trying to track down a puck in the slot in the San Jose end, threw out his right elbow, catching Hannan in the head, sending him to the ice.
Hannan got up and skated right for Cleary, dropping the gloves and pushing Cleary up against the glass.
Cleary was given a minor penalty for high sticking, minor for roughing and a fighting major on the play. Hannan was assessed a fighting major, an instigator and a game misconduct.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)