Jan 10, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT
The incident occurred with 1:53 left in the period, with the Sharks up by three goals. Cleary, trying to track down a puck in the slot in the San Jose end, threw out his right elbow, catching Hannan in the head, sending him to the ice.
Hannan got up and skated right for Cleary, dropping the gloves and pushing Cleary up against the glass.
Cleary was given a minor penalty for high sticking, minor for roughing and a fighting major on the play. Hannan was assessed a fighting major, an instigator and a game misconduct.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 31
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)