Jan 10, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
In fact, Poile emphasized that an injury could very well open the door for the winger to make it onto the team after all.
“He just said you never know what might happen in three weeks, or whatever it is, a month, and I said okay, but that wasn’t really the theme of the conversation by any means,” Ryan said.
The 26-year-old seemed to express mixed feelings about heeding the call if injuries do open that door, whether that is in 2014 or a different international tournament.
“I don’t know, I think you will have to ask me when the opportunity presents itself,” Ryan said. “I’m certainly not going to turn my back on the (U.S.A.) crest.”
Saturday’s game between the Ottawa Senators and Nashville Predators seemed to carry the potential for extreme awkwardness, as Ryan’s squad faces Poile’s NHL team. Maybe some of that will still carry over, but this meeting also provided an opportunity for Ryan and Poile to hash things out, which seemed to be in both of their interests.
Despite denying the added motivation, Ryan probably wouldn’t mind scoring a goal or three against Nashville, though.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)