Jan 10, 2014, 8:23 PM EST
In fact, Poile emphasized that an injury could very well open the door for the winger to make it onto the team after all.
“He just said you never know what might happen in three weeks, or whatever it is, a month, and I said okay, but that wasn’t really the theme of the conversation by any means,” Ryan said.
The 26-year-old seemed to express mixed feelings about heeding the call if injuries do open that door, whether that is in 2014 or a different international tournament.
“I don’t know, I think you will have to ask me when the opportunity presents itself,” Ryan said. “I’m certainly not going to turn my back on the (U.S.A.) crest.”
Saturday’s game between the Ottawa Senators and Nashville Predators seemed to carry the potential for extreme awkwardness, as Ryan’s squad faces Poile’s NHL team. Maybe some of that will still carry over, but this meeting also provided an opportunity for Ryan and Poile to hash things out, which seemed to be in both of their interests.
Despite denying the added motivation, Ryan probably wouldn’t mind scoring a goal or three against Nashville, though.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)