Jan 10, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“I got a great relationship with PK… He understands our decision (to bench him).” #Habs Therrien, who had a convo with Subban today.
— John Lu (@JohnLuTSNMtl) January 10, 2014
#Habson690 Therrien spoke to Subban today he understands the decision and agrees with it.
— Jessica Rusnak (@JessRusnak) January 10, 2014
Subban, the defending Norris winner that was recently named to Canada’s Olympic team, was parked for roughly 10 minutes in the final frame after taking an unnecessary roughing penalty on Sean Couturier, one that drew Therrien’s ire.
“Didn’t like the penalty,” Therrien said, as per NHL.com. “Especially after a scrum – 20 seconds after it. It’s not a hockey play. Not happy.”
Therrien’s usage of Subban has come under fire throughout this season, though he usually bristles whenever the subject is raised (today, he said folks were “making a big story” out of what he saw as nothing.) The ongoing saga has added another layer to Subban’s contract situation, which was already pretty complex.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, Subban — a RFA at season’s end — could be asking for between $8-$9 million annually on his new deal, which will likely be long-term. As such, one has to wonder how much longer Therrien can keep trying to flex his muscle, in light of the fact Subban, already one of the NHL’s elite defensemen, could soon carry the additional clout of being one of the league’s highest-paid players.
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 4
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 19
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 6
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 18
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)