Jan 10, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
So, here’s a curious development out of Los Angeles….
On Friday, LA Kings Insider spoke to veteran rearguard Matt Greene about being a healthy scratch for the last three games, then asked Kings head coach Darryl Sutter if he anticipated Green being in the lineup soon.
Sutter said no — “I’m not into ‘what you did,’ I’m into ‘what you’re doing'” — before sharing some thoughts on parking veteran players like Greene in the press box.
“I’m not into feeling sorry for guys because they’ve been around a long time. I’m in to how they play. Very simple. Either they accept it, or they don’t.”
[Reporter: Does it seem like he’s accepting it?]
“He better. He better have a good attitude, very simple. The only thing I don’t accept is anybody with a bad attitude in terms of work ethic, attitude, or how they’re received by their teammates. It’s why we’re a good team. It’s a change that we’ve had to make, obviously, in the last three years here.”
Not exactly clear what prompted this. Kings Insider reports that Greene’s handled the demotion well and hasn’t complained about the situation, so perhaps this is just a case of Darryl being Darryl.
That said, it’s pretty obvious Greene’s role on the team has greatly diminished. The 30-year-old alternate captain has essentially been replaced in the lineup by 26-year-old Alec Martinez, who scored his fourth goal of the season last night in a 4-2 win over Boston.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 10
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 14
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 15
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 49
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (61)