Jan 10, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes seemed to fight off fatigue pretty well on Friday in playing back-to-back games, but they couldn’t solve Sergei Bobrovsky. The Columbus Blue Jackets’ goalie stopped all 36 shots to power his team past the Canes by a score of 3-0 tonight.
“That’s the Bob we all know and love,” Atkinson said.
“Bob” seems like he’s indeed starting to heat up, at least when injuries aren’t getting in the way. The Russian netminder has won four games in a row and five of his last six games; unfortunately, that streak includes two games in January, one in December and three in November, so maybe it’s not fair to call it a streak at all.
Carolina came into today with what was definitely a strong streak, though, as the Hurricanes had won four consecutive contests. This represents an end of a streak for surging backup Anton Khudobin, too, as he saw his 2013-14 record drop to 6-1-0.
(Actually, make that at least three runs that end for Carolina. Jeff Skinner‘s six-game point streak is finished, although not for a lack of trying, as he fired seven shots on goal.)
Could this be the spark that Columbus needs to be better than the .500 (20-20-4) team they are? That’s anyone’s guess, as people were left pondering similar thoughts about Carolina (now 19-17-9) on Thursday night.
If nothing else, Blue Jackets fans can at least point back to this dazzling save:
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
Dec 26, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have been good — or is it lucky? — in one-goal games.
Dec 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
Connor McDavid headlines a loaded host side that hasn’t won gold since 2009.
Dec 26, 2014, 1:28 PM EST
Dec 26, 2014, 12:43 PM EST
New Jersey off to a disappointing 12-17-7 start. The coach pays the price.
Dec 26, 2014, 12:34 PM EST
Brandon Sutter cleared.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Put Matt Duchene on the list of supporters.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
“That was something that wore on guys.”
Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
They picked him over Eric Comrie.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:31 AM EST
Boxing Day links.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)