Jan 10, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Filip Forsberg is on his way back to Milwaukee.
On Friday, the Preds announced that Forsberg — fresh off winning Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships — will be reassigned to the AHL Admirals.
Forsberg, 19, has already done a tour in Milwaukee, scoring eight points in seven games earlier this season. On Wednesday, he was released from the Swedish junior team and returned directly to Nashville, where he was a healthy scratch for the club’s 4-3 loss at home to Anaheim on Thursday.
On the year, Forsberg’s appeared in 12 games for the Preds, scoring one goal and five points. He hasn’t suited up for the club since Nov. 15, though, as head coach Barry Trotz said the youngster still needs some seasoning before becoming a regular contributor at the NHL level.
“He’s a tremendous young kid. He has a lot of ability. He has a long way to go to play in the National Hockey League on a regular basis. I shouldn’t say play in the National Hockey League — to produce in the National Hockey League,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “I think he has a lot of great tools, exceptional hands and is a quality young man, but there’s still a long way for him to go.”
It’s worth noting that Elias Lindholm, Forsberg’s World Juniors running mate and second-leading Swedish scorer, score three points in his first post-WJC game last night, helping Carolina beat Toronto 6-1.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)