Jan 10, 2014, 9:56 AM EST
The Florida Panthers entered the season with a new owner in Vincent Viola, but they haven’t left their financial troubles behind.
The team’s attendance has been lackluster and Panthers president Michael Yormark has stated that the team’s lost $20 million to $30 million annually. With that in mind, the Panthers feel it’s important to change their contract with Broward county in several significant ways, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
Among other things, they want the $4.5 million they’re paying annually for the BB&T Center construction debt to be picked up by the county on top of the $8 million per year Broward is already contributing.
Yormark argued that the tourism tax the county originally created to cover its portion of the bill is bringing in more than expected, so that’s where he feels the money would come from. Meanwhile County Administrator Bertha Henry warned this could have “very significant implications” while County Auditor Evan Lukic still isn’t sold on the idea that this would help Broward.
Another major item on the Panthers’ agenda would be to swap the rights for some of the land surrounding the BB&T Center as part of a maneuver to build a casino-hotel, provided that the state passes new laws permitting it over the spring.
It’s also worth noting that the Panthers are prepared to make a commitment to maintain a payroll that would be competitive with the rest of the league. Presently, the team has the most cap space in the league, according to Cap Geek.
Meanwhile, Florida earned a 2-1 victory over Buffalo on Thursday in a battle between two of the league’s worst teams.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)