Jan 10, 2014, 1:32 PM EST
Dustin Byfuglien is going back up front.
The Winnipeg defenseman, who began his career as a forward, skated on the club’s top line with Andrew Ladd and Bryan Little at Friday’s practice and will reprise that role tomorrow against Columbus, according to head coach Claude Noel.
“We’re trying to find ways to win,” Noel said, per the Jets’ Twitter account. “He can be a guy that can have an impact in the game.”
Byfuglien, 28, broke in with Chicago as a winger and enjoyed great success during the Cup-winning 2009-10 season, scoring 17 goals during the regular season and 11 more in 22 playoff games. The 6-foot-5, 265-pounder emerged as a persistent net-front presence and quality option on the power play, where he scored 11 PPG in the regular and postseason combined.
That said, he’s enjoyed equal success as a rearguard.
Byfuglien was moved back to his natural defensive spot upon being traded to Atlanta — twice making the All Star game — but desperate times have called for desperate measures, as the Jets are on a four-game winless skid and generated just 14 shots in Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to Tampa.
“I’m looking to try and get some people going offensively,” Noel said in explaining the Byfuglien move. “What I’m hoping to accomplish, not only with one line, is positive production.”
Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Anton Forsberg reassigned to Springfield.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 63
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 11
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)