Jan 10, 2014, 11:08 AM EST
Mikhail Grigorenko doesn’t want to go back to junior again. He wants to stay in Buffalo, playing in the NHL.
“I really want to stay here,” the 19-year-old Sabres forward said Thursday, per the Buffalo News. “I did everything they wanted me to do. I didn’t really complain much. I just knew it was the best thing in the moment but hopefully I’m done with traveling. I just want to stay here.”
But with Grigorenko having scored just two goals and an assist in 18 games this season, one of the big questions for new general manager Tim Murray is whether the 12th overall pick in the 2012 draft is better off playing limited minutes with the Sabres, or if his long-term development would be aided with another stint in the QMJHL with the Quebec Remparts.
“There are two scenarios and we’ll decide one of those two here very quickly,” Murray said yesterday.
Of note, a story published this morning in the French-language newspaper Le Soleil had the headline (translated), “Grigorenko near a return with the Remparts.”
Related: Grigorenko in limbo
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 17
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 53
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)