Jan 10, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Mikhail Grigorenko doesn’t want to go back to junior again. He wants to stay in Buffalo, playing in the NHL.
“I really want to stay here,” the 19-year-old Sabres forward said Thursday, per the Buffalo News. “I did everything they wanted me to do. I didn’t really complain much. I just knew it was the best thing in the moment but hopefully I’m done with traveling. I just want to stay here.”
But with Grigorenko having scored just two goals and an assist in 18 games this season, one of the big questions for new general manager Tim Murray is whether the 12th overall pick in the 2012 draft is better off playing limited minutes with the Sabres, or if his long-term development would be aided with another stint in the QMJHL with the Quebec Remparts.
“There are two scenarios and we’ll decide one of those two here very quickly,” Murray said yesterday.
Of note, a story published this morning in the French-language newspaper Le Soleil had the headline (translated), “Grigorenko near a return with the Remparts.”
Related: Grigorenko in limbo
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)