Jan 10, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have called up goalie John Gibson from AHL Norfolk while sending down goalie Frederik Andersen.
Andersen was a revelation earlier this season, but the 24-year-old’s last three NHL starts have seen him surrender nine goals on just 70 shots, a save percentage of .871. Apparently the Ducks want to get him more action in the minors, which he’ll receive tonight against Portland.
Gibson, meanwhile, has gone 11-9-3 (.915 SV%) with the Admirals. The highly touted 20-year-old was the 39th pick in the 2011 draft.
The Ducks play Saturday in Phoenix and Sunday at home versus Detroit. No word yet if Gibson will make his NHL debut in one of those games.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36