Jan 10, 2014, 8:02 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues signed enforcer Ryan Reaves to a four-year, $4.5 million contract extension on Friday.
Simply put, St. Louis turns to the tough 26-year-old for his pugilistic skills. Despite being limited to 26 games in 2013-14 (he missed some time, fittingly, by hurting his hand on someone else’s skull), Reaves has already engaged in seven fights this season. That ties him for eight in the league, according to Hockey Fights.
The bigger picture view is that the Blues are locking up most of their players for the future, though some are obviously more crucial than others.
That being said, there are still some big deals to be made, including making a decision about goalies Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott, determining if Derek Roy is a longer-term fit or just a rental and re-signing RFAs Jaden Schwartz, Patrik Berglund and Vladimir Sobotka.
The Blues would argue that the core is in place nonetheless, and they’ve retained a guy being paid (theoretically) to protect those important players.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)