Jan 9, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Reporters got a flash of the old, irritable John Tortorella today in Vancouver, where his winless-in-five Canucks are preparing for a visit from the St. Louis Blues on Friday night.
The topic du jour was the shootout, something Tortorella’s team has won just twice in eight tries this season.
“It should be out of the league,” said Tortorella. “That gimmick should be out of the league.”
When a reporter followed up with, “It is part of the league though…,” Tortorella interjected with a curt, “Yes, I know,” before adding, “You cannot practice the shootout in practice, no matter how you do it. So write your story.”
Despite the coach’s doubts that it would do any good — “You just can’t simulate game situation that way” — the Canucks did indeed practice the shootout today.
“Whether it helps or not, some guys can introduce or experiment with certain things,” a clearly skeptical Tortorella said.
Vancouver shooters are a dreadful 4-for-32 in the “gimmick” this season, a success rate of just 12.5 percent. Only Nashville (1-for-17) and New Jersey (1-for-20) have fared worse than that on a percentage basis.
At this point, even Google knows the Canucks are a long shot once overtime ends:
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)