Jan 9, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Is Brian Rafalski mounting a comeback?
Well, he’s planted the seed for one.
The 40-year-old defenseman, who retired in 2011 due to back and knee injuries, has signed with the ECHL’s Florida Everblades, the club announced on Thursday.
“I’m just excited to get back on the ice again and see where God takes me on this journey,” Rafalski told the team’s website.
Rafalski, who spent 15 NHL seasons between New Jersey and Detroit, recently participated with his former Red Wings mates in the Winter Classic Alumni Showdown. According to Everblades PR man Paul Teeple, working out for the alumni game provided the spark, and things progressed to where they are today — Rafalski joining a club that sits second in the ECHL’s South Division and is the East Coast League affiliate to both the Carolina Hurricanes and Tampa Bay Lightning.
It’ll be interesting to see how Rafalski will adjust to playing professionally again. He was still performing at a high level upon his retirement at age 37, scoring 48 points in 63 games in his final season.
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 5
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 8
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 26
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)