Jan 9, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Is Brian Rafalski mounting a comeback?
Well, he’s planted the seed for one.
The 40-year-old defenseman, who retired in 2011 due to back and knee injuries, has signed with the ECHL’s Florida Everblades, the club announced on Thursday.
“I’m just excited to get back on the ice again and see where God takes me on this journey,” Rafalski told the team’s website.
Rafalski, who spent 15 NHL seasons between New Jersey and Detroit, recently participated with his former Red Wings mates in the Winter Classic Alumni Showdown. According to Everblades PR man Paul Teeple, working out for the alumni game provided the spark, and things progressed to where they are today — Rafalski joining a club that sits second in the ECHL’s South Division and is the East Coast League affiliate to both the Carolina Hurricanes and Tampa Bay Lightning.
It’ll be interesting to see how Rafalski will adjust to playing professionally again. He was still performing at a high level upon his retirement at age 37, scoring 48 points in 63 games in his final season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)