Jan 9, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Is Brian Rafalski mounting a comeback?
Well, he’s planted the seed for one.
The 40-year-old defenseman, who retired in 2011 due to back and knee injuries, has signed with the ECHL’s Florida Everblades, the club announced on Thursday.
“I’m just excited to get back on the ice again and see where God takes me on this journey,” Rafalski told the team’s website.
Rafalski, who spent 15 NHL seasons between New Jersey and Detroit, recently participated with his former Red Wings mates in the Winter Classic Alumni Showdown. According to Everblades PR man Paul Teeple, working out for the alumni game provided the spark, and things progressed to where they are today — Rafalski joining a club that sits second in the ECHL’s South Division and is the East Coast League affiliate to both the Carolina Hurricanes and Tampa Bay Lightning.
It’ll be interesting to see how Rafalski will adjust to playing professionally again. He was still performing at a high level upon his retirement at age 37, scoring 48 points in 63 games in his final season.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)