Jan 9, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
Hey, remember back in mid-November when Edmonton general manager Craig MacTavish said the Oilers didn’t need “another first-round draft choice” and hinted he’d be willing to trade his 2014 pick for players that can help his team now?
Yeah, turns out he’s had a slight change of heart.
“When you’re drafting in the top seven picks, you can’t pass up those opportunities,” he said, per the Edmonton Sun. “You can’t pass them up unless it makes sense and nothing we were offered last year made sense.
“Certainly we’ll be in a position of listening, but when you are drafting that high, it’s tough to pass on skill and youth like that. We’re certainly scouting like we’re going to be picking.”
Whether MacTavish gets offered a deal that “makes sense,” we’ll have to wait and see. In the meantime, we’ll just keep banging that Shea Weber drum.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)