Jan 9, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Alex Tanguay has taken another significant step in his comeback from knee and hip injuries, but the biggest step still awaits.
Tanguay, who hasn’t played since Nov. 2, practiced with the Avs in a non-contact capacity in the hopes of upping the tempo and intensity next week.
“Right now, he’s pacing himself,” Avs head coach Patrick Roy told the Denver Post. “I’d say he’s probably going at 60 or 70 percent.
“Next week, we want to see some strength in the knee and his hip, so next week he’s going to push hard and we’ll have a better indication whether he’s capable or not of coming back.”
Tanguay, 34, had his season put in jeopardy after suffering a setback while recovering from his original knee injury — it’s how he injured his hip — and, four weeks ago, Roy said the situation regarding the veteran’s health was “not good.”
Acquired from Calgary this offseason, Tanguay started the campaign by scoring nine points in his first 13 games and provided a spark in returning to the organization he won a Cup with back in 2001. The hope is to get him back at some point, and have his experience and veteran leadership available for the playoffs (or, a playoff push.)
“I don’t want to put any exact (date) on things. But he’s going to play again I think,” Roy said in late December.
Oct 2, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
And remember, the Stars haven’t signed Brenden Dillon yet.
Oct 2, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Beginning with that blueline.
Oct 2, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Veteran d-man up for grabs.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Connor Carrick, Garrett Mitchell and Casey Wellman are on their way to Hershey.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Veteran d-man spent the last five years in Minnesota.
Oct 2, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
“I don’t want to draw too many comparisons to last year, but with this system we’re going to be able to engage in the battle.”
Oct 2, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
“I don’t take for granted I’m going to be on this team.”
Oct 2, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Ken Hitchcock says the “playoffs tell you everything.” So what does that say about the Blues?
Oct 2, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Seventh overall pick at ’14 draft is headed to WHL Red Deer.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
They’re betting on him lasting longer than Spezza.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
They didn’t want another top forward to slip away.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:23 AM EDT
Toronto signed him to a three-year deal in July.
Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
A few tough breaks and the optimism is eroding a bit.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
That brings the Penguins’ roster down to 31 players.
Oct 2, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
He may begin 2014-15 banged up.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
The early word is that he’s OK, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Worth a try.
- Risk Factors: Philadelphia Flyers edition 2
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 10
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 18
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Pittsburgh releases Daniel Carcillo from tryout (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)