Jan 9, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
Buffalo has scheduled a press conference for 11:30 a.m. ET and they will presumably make the appointment official at that time.
Murray, 50, has been serving as the Ottawa Senators’ assistant GM since 2007. He’s also a former Detroit Red Wings scout.
He’ll be taking over a team that’s trying to rebuild as it moves towards missing the playoffs for a third straight season. He’ll have to hit the ground running as the Olympic break approaches and the trade deadline follows shortly after that.
Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, and Ryan Miller are all set to become unrestricted free agents this summer, so one of his first tasks will be to determine what to do with them, if he can even re-sign them, and if he can’t, what he can get for them on the trade market. With a 12-26-4 record this season, Murray is also on course to have a high pick to play with in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 20
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 42
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9