Jan 9, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
Buffalo has scheduled a press conference for 11:30 a.m. ET and they will presumably make the appointment official at that time.
Murray, 50, has been serving as the Ottawa Senators’ assistant GM since 2007. He’s also a former Detroit Red Wings scout.
He’ll be taking over a team that’s trying to rebuild as it moves towards missing the playoffs for a third straight season. He’ll have to hit the ground running as the Olympic break approaches and the trade deadline follows shortly after that.
Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, and Ryan Miller are all set to become unrestricted free agents this summer, so one of his first tasks will be to determine what to do with them, if he can even re-sign them, and if he can’t, what he can get for them on the trade market. With a 12-26-4 record this season, Murray is also on course to have a high pick to play with in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)