Jan 9, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
Buffalo has scheduled a press conference for 11:30 a.m. ET and they will presumably make the appointment official at that time.
Murray, 50, has been serving as the Ottawa Senators’ assistant GM since 2007. He’s also a former Detroit Red Wings scout.
He’ll be taking over a team that’s trying to rebuild as it moves towards missing the playoffs for a third straight season. He’ll have to hit the ground running as the Olympic break approaches and the trade deadline follows shortly after that.
Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, and Ryan Miller are all set to become unrestricted free agents this summer, so one of his first tasks will be to determine what to do with them, if he can even re-sign them, and if he can’t, what he can get for them on the trade market. With a 12-26-4 record this season, Murray is also on course to have a high pick to play with in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 24
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33