Jan 9, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
Buffalo has scheduled a press conference for 11:30 a.m. ET and they will presumably make the appointment official at that time.
Murray, 50, has been serving as the Ottawa Senators’ assistant GM since 2007. He’s also a former Detroit Red Wings scout.
He’ll be taking over a team that’s trying to rebuild as it moves towards missing the playoffs for a third straight season. He’ll have to hit the ground running as the Olympic break approaches and the trade deadline follows shortly after that.
Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, and Ryan Miller are all set to become unrestricted free agents this summer, so one of his first tasks will be to determine what to do with them, if he can even re-sign them, and if he can’t, what he can get for them on the trade market. With a 12-26-4 record this season, Murray is also on course to have a high pick to play with in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5