Jan 9, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
Buffalo has scheduled a press conference for 11:30 a.m. ET and they will presumably make the appointment official at that time.
Murray, 50, has been serving as the Ottawa Senators’ assistant GM since 2007. He’s also a former Detroit Red Wings scout.
He’ll be taking over a team that’s trying to rebuild as it moves towards missing the playoffs for a third straight season. He’ll have to hit the ground running as the Olympic break approaches and the trade deadline follows shortly after that.
Matt Moulson, Steve Ott, and Ryan Miller are all set to become unrestricted free agents this summer, so one of his first tasks will be to determine what to do with them, if he can even re-sign them, and if he can’t, what he can get for them on the trade market. With a 12-26-4 record this season, Murray is also on course to have a high pick to play with in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)