Jan 9, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Sabres added another name to injured reserve on Thursday, putting forward Drew Stafford on with an upper-body ailment. The move means Buffalo now has five players on IR — Stafford, Cody Hodgson, Henrik Tallinder, Cody McCormick and Kevin Porter.
But even with that large number of players unavailable for selection, Mikhail Grigorenko won’t draw back into the lineup.
Grigorenko, fresh off leading Russia in scoring at the World Juniors, is back in Buffalo but will skip tonight’s game against Florida as the club continues to mull over its options.
Head coach Ted Nolan alluded to the possibility of returning Grigorenko to junior, but that’s a confusing situation. Grigorenko’s QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, failed to deal him at Tuesday’s trade deadline and can’t bring him aboard because they’re already at the two-import player maximum.
“He’s coming back here initially,” Nolan said, per WGR 550 Buffalo. “He’s coming here for Pat and I to discuss and we’ll make that decision when he gets here.
“It’s what Patty and I will be discussing, but we’re leaning that way [returning Grigorenko to junior], yes.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 34
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 97
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (97)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)