Jan 9, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Sabres added another name to injured reserve on Thursday, putting forward Drew Stafford on with an upper-body ailment. The move means Buffalo now has five players on IR — Stafford, Cody Hodgson, Henrik Tallinder, Cody McCormick and Kevin Porter.
But even with that large number of players unavailable for selection, Mikhail Grigorenko won’t draw back into the lineup.
Grigorenko, fresh off leading Russia in scoring at the World Juniors, is back in Buffalo but will skip tonight’s game against Florida as the club continues to mull over its options.
Head coach Ted Nolan alluded to the possibility of returning Grigorenko to junior, but that’s a confusing situation. Grigorenko’s QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, failed to deal him at Tuesday’s trade deadline and can’t bring him aboard because they’re already at the two-import player maximum.
“He’s coming back here initially,” Nolan said, per WGR 550 Buffalo. “He’s coming here for Pat and I to discuss and we’ll make that decision when he gets here.
“It’s what Patty and I will be discussing, but we’re leaning that way [returning Grigorenko to junior], yes.”
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)