Jan 9, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Sabres added another name to injured reserve on Thursday, putting forward Drew Stafford on with an upper-body ailment. The move means Buffalo now has five players on IR — Stafford, Cody Hodgson, Henrik Tallinder, Cody McCormick and Kevin Porter.
But even with that large number of players unavailable for selection, Mikhail Grigorenko won’t draw back into the lineup.
Grigorenko, fresh off leading Russia in scoring at the World Juniors, is back in Buffalo but will skip tonight’s game against Florida as the club continues to mull over its options.
Head coach Ted Nolan alluded to the possibility of returning Grigorenko to junior, but that’s a confusing situation. Grigorenko’s QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, failed to deal him at Tuesday’s trade deadline and can’t bring him aboard because they’re already at the two-import player maximum.
“He’s coming back here initially,” Nolan said, per WGR 550 Buffalo. “He’s coming here for Pat and I to discuss and we’ll make that decision when he gets here.
“It’s what Patty and I will be discussing, but we’re leaning that way [returning Grigorenko to junior], yes.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)