Jan 9, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
The New York Rangers earned two points on the road against the defending Stanley Cup champions. No easy task.
The Rangers had the Chicago Blackhawks their third loss to begin the New Year with a 3-2 victory Wednesday evening. New York’s goalie Henrik Lundqvist made 35 saves in what could be called one of his best games of the season.
The Rangers, after all their struggles at the beginning of the season, have found themselves of late, with six wins in their last 10 games. They have also moved into third in the Metropolitan Division, with 22 wins and 47 points, only three back of the surging Philadelphia Flyers.
But beat the Blackhawks, well, it came with a good feeling afterward.
“Playing one of the best teams, this is a big win for us … we got rewarded in the end with a big goal,” said Lundqvist, as per the team’s Twitter account.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)