Jan 9, 2014, 12:01 AM EST
The New York Rangers earned two points on the road against the defending Stanley Cup champions. No easy task.
The Rangers had the Chicago Blackhawks their third loss to begin the New Year with a 3-2 victory Wednesday evening. New York’s goalie Henrik Lundqvist made 35 saves in what could be called one of his best games of the season.
The Rangers, after all their struggles at the beginning of the season, have found themselves of late, with six wins in their last 10 games. They have also moved into third in the Metropolitan Division, with 22 wins and 47 points, only three back of the surging Philadelphia Flyers.
But beat the Blackhawks, well, it came with a good feeling afterward.
“Playing one of the best teams, this is a big win for us … we got rewarded in the end with a big goal,” said Lundqvist, as per the team’s Twitter account.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)