Jan 9, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
The New York Rangers earned two points on the road against the defending Stanley Cup champions. No easy task.
The Rangers had the Chicago Blackhawks their third loss to begin the New Year with a 3-2 victory Wednesday evening. New York’s goalie Henrik Lundqvist made 35 saves in what could be called one of his best games of the season.
The Rangers, after all their struggles at the beginning of the season, have found themselves of late, with six wins in their last 10 games. They have also moved into third in the Metropolitan Division, with 22 wins and 47 points, only three back of the surging Philadelphia Flyers.
But beat the Blackhawks, well, it came with a good feeling afterward.
“Playing one of the best teams, this is a big win for us … we got rewarded in the end with a big goal,” said Lundqvist, as per the team’s Twitter account.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)