Jan 9, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
The New York Rangers earned two points on the road against the defending Stanley Cup champions. No easy task.
The Rangers had the Chicago Blackhawks their third loss to begin the New Year with a 3-2 victory Wednesday evening. New York’s goalie Henrik Lundqvist made 35 saves in what could be called one of his best games of the season.
The Rangers, after all their struggles at the beginning of the season, have found themselves of late, with six wins in their last 10 games. They have also moved into third in the Metropolitan Division, with 22 wins and 47 points, only three back of the surging Philadelphia Flyers.
But beat the Blackhawks, well, it came with a good feeling afterward.
“Playing one of the best teams, this is a big win for us … we got rewarded in the end with a big goal,” said Lundqvist, as per the team’s Twitter account.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)