Jan 9, 2014, 8:23 PM EST
Not exactly a banner night for the ice crew at the Tampa Bay Times Forum…
Prior to the game, the officials announced due to ice conditions in the visitor crease, the teams will change ends at the 10-minute mark.
— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) January 10, 2014
According to Caps beat reporter Mike Vogel, both of the club’s GMs — Steve Yzerman and George McPhee — were down on the benches prior to the game, trying to get a handle on the situation. The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reported seeing a “lopsided” crease in the visitor’s end, the product of uneven ice.
Tonight’s game was the Lightning’s first home date since Dec. 29. The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus had been occupying the Times Forum for the last while as the Bolts were on a four-game road swing.
While no official ruling has been announced yet, it’s possible the clubs will continue to switch ends at the 10 minute mark of the second and third periods (and perhaps even the 2:30 mark of overtime, should the game be tied at the end of regulation.) This scenario is somewhat similar to the 2014 Winter Classic, when the Leafs and Red Wings switched ends midway through the third period and OT session because of the wind factor at the Big House.
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) January 10, 2014
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 0
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3