Jan 9, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Not exactly a banner night for the ice crew at the Tampa Bay Times Forum…
Prior to the game, the officials announced due to ice conditions in the visitor crease, the teams will change ends at the 10-minute mark.
— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) January 10, 2014
According to Caps beat reporter Mike Vogel, both of the club’s GMs — Steve Yzerman and George McPhee — were down on the benches prior to the game, trying to get a handle on the situation. The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reported seeing a “lopsided” crease in the visitor’s end, the product of uneven ice.
Tonight’s game was the Lightning’s first home date since Dec. 29. The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus had been occupying the Times Forum for the last while as the Bolts were on a four-game road swing.
While no official ruling has been announced yet, it’s possible the clubs will continue to switch ends at the 10 minute mark of the second and third periods (and perhaps even the 2:30 mark of overtime, should the game be tied at the end of regulation.) This scenario is somewhat similar to the 2014 Winter Classic, when the Leafs and Red Wings switched ends midway through the third period and OT session because of the wind factor at the Big House.
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) January 10, 2014
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)