Jan 9, 2014, 8:23 PM EST
Not exactly a banner night for the ice crew at the Tampa Bay Times Forum…
Prior to the game, the officials announced due to ice conditions in the visitor crease, the teams will change ends at the 10-minute mark.
— Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) January 10, 2014
According to Caps beat reporter Mike Vogel, both of the club’s GMs — Steve Yzerman and George McPhee — were down on the benches prior to the game, trying to get a handle on the situation. The Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reported seeing a “lopsided” crease in the visitor’s end, the product of uneven ice.
Tonight’s game was the Lightning’s first home date since Dec. 29. The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus had been occupying the Times Forum for the last while as the Bolts were on a four-game road swing.
While no official ruling has been announced yet, it’s possible the clubs will continue to switch ends at the 10 minute mark of the second and third periods (and perhaps even the 2:30 mark of overtime, should the game be tied at the end of regulation.) This scenario is somewhat similar to the 2014 Winter Classic, when the Leafs and Red Wings switched ends midway through the third period and OT session because of the wind factor at the Big House.
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) January 10, 2014
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4