Jan 9, 2014, 1:24 AM EST
These are not good times for hockey fans in Edmonton, or those involved with the Oilers for that matter.
The latest chapter in the Oilers’ season of woe occurred Tuesday, when Craig MacTavish, the club’s general manager, reportedly got into a shouting match with a fan following a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues, according to the Edmonton Sun.
“Ah, the usual stuff, I’d just had enough,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun. “It was not a good night to have it.”
It would seem that fan has probably had enough, too. This season has turned into a disaster for the Oilers, thought to be a team on the rise with the likes of Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle, to name a few.
Not to mention their new coach Dallas Eakins, who was hired in June with great fanfare.
But that has not translated well on the ice. The Oilers sit dead last in the Pacific Division, dead last in the Western Conference and are only five points up on the Buffalo Sabres for dead last in the entire National Hockey League standings.
The fans have let their frustrations be known.
In December, after another loss to the Blues, a fan threw his jersey onto the ice in frustration. That prompted Eakins to fire back at the fan, Curtis Goyetche, calling him “a quitter.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)