Jan 9, 2014, 1:24 AM EDT
These are not good times for hockey fans in Edmonton, or those involved with the Oilers for that matter.
The latest chapter in the Oilers’ season of woe occurred Tuesday, when Craig MacTavish, the club’s general manager, reportedly got into a shouting match with a fan following a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues, according to the Edmonton Sun.
“Ah, the usual stuff, I’d just had enough,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun. “It was not a good night to have it.”
It would seem that fan has probably had enough, too. This season has turned into a disaster for the Oilers, thought to be a team on the rise with the likes of Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle, to name a few.
Not to mention their new coach Dallas Eakins, who was hired in June with great fanfare.
But that has not translated well on the ice. The Oilers sit dead last in the Pacific Division, dead last in the Western Conference and are only five points up on the Buffalo Sabres for dead last in the entire National Hockey League standings.
The fans have let their frustrations be known.
In December, after another loss to the Blues, a fan threw his jersey onto the ice in frustration. That prompted Eakins to fire back at the fan, Curtis Goyetche, calling him “a quitter.”
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)