Jan 9, 2014, 1:24 AM EDT
These are not good times for hockey fans in Edmonton, or those involved with the Oilers for that matter.
The latest chapter in the Oilers’ season of woe occurred Tuesday, when Craig MacTavish, the club’s general manager, reportedly got into a shouting match with a fan following a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues, according to the Edmonton Sun.
“Ah, the usual stuff, I’d just had enough,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun. “It was not a good night to have it.”
It would seem that fan has probably had enough, too. This season has turned into a disaster for the Oilers, thought to be a team on the rise with the likes of Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle, to name a few.
Not to mention their new coach Dallas Eakins, who was hired in June with great fanfare.
But that has not translated well on the ice. The Oilers sit dead last in the Pacific Division, dead last in the Western Conference and are only five points up on the Buffalo Sabres for dead last in the entire National Hockey League standings.
The fans have let their frustrations be known.
In December, after another loss to the Blues, a fan threw his jersey onto the ice in frustration. That prompted Eakins to fire back at the fan, Curtis Goyetche, calling him “a quitter.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)