Jan 9, 2014, 1:24 AM EDT
These are not good times for hockey fans in Edmonton, or those involved with the Oilers for that matter.
The latest chapter in the Oilers’ season of woe occurred Tuesday, when Craig MacTavish, the club’s general manager, reportedly got into a shouting match with a fan following a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues, according to the Edmonton Sun.
“Ah, the usual stuff, I’d just had enough,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun. “It was not a good night to have it.”
It would seem that fan has probably had enough, too. This season has turned into a disaster for the Oilers, thought to be a team on the rise with the likes of Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle, to name a few.
Not to mention their new coach Dallas Eakins, who was hired in June with great fanfare.
But that has not translated well on the ice. The Oilers sit dead last in the Pacific Division, dead last in the Western Conference and are only five points up on the Buffalo Sabres for dead last in the entire National Hockey League standings.
The fans have let their frustrations be known.
In December, after another loss to the Blues, a fan threw his jersey onto the ice in frustration. That prompted Eakins to fire back at the fan, Curtis Goyetche, calling him “a quitter.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)