Jan 9, 2014, 1:24 AM EDT
These are not good times for hockey fans in Edmonton, or those involved with the Oilers for that matter.
The latest chapter in the Oilers’ season of woe occurred Tuesday, when Craig MacTavish, the club’s general manager, reportedly got into a shouting match with a fan following a 5-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues, according to the Edmonton Sun.
“Ah, the usual stuff, I’d just had enough,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Sun. “It was not a good night to have it.”
It would seem that fan has probably had enough, too. This season has turned into a disaster for the Oilers, thought to be a team on the rise with the likes of Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle, to name a few.
Not to mention their new coach Dallas Eakins, who was hired in June with great fanfare.
But that has not translated well on the ice. The Oilers sit dead last in the Pacific Division, dead last in the Western Conference and are only five points up on the Buffalo Sabres for dead last in the entire National Hockey League standings.
The fans have let their frustrations be known.
In December, after another loss to the Blues, a fan threw his jersey onto the ice in frustration. That prompted Eakins to fire back at the fan, Curtis Goyetche, calling him “a quitter.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)