Jan 9, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but Claude Noel isn’t happy with one of his players.
This time it’s forward Devin Setoguchi, who got parked during Tuesday’s ugly home loss to Tampa Bay.
“What I want from him is what I want from all players,” Noel said of Setoguchi, per the Jets’ Twitter account. “I want him to play his A game.”
Setoguchi, 27, played a season-low 5:35 against Tampa Bay and was all but benched after the first period. He was on the ice for Valtteri Filppula‘s game-opening goal (score just 1:20 into the contest), then proceeded to play just one two-second — yes, two-second — shift in the middle frame, and one 4o-second shift in the final stanza.
Setoguchi has struggled to start the new year, going pointless over his last four games while posting a minus-4 rating. But the slump came after he ended 2013 in reasonably good shape, scoring three points in four games while playing nearly 18 minutes in a 2-1 OT win over Colorado on Dec. 29.
Following Tuesday’s loss, Noel made it clear he wasn’t looking just for points from Setoguchi, who has 20 in 45 games this season.
“I don’t think Devin’s played that great of late,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Sun. “He’s a guy that can give us more. It’s not really about goals for me.”
Noel and Setoguchi met today after practice. Sounds like they’re on the same page. Setoguchi was pretty candid about needing to be better.
— PATRICK WILLIAMS (@pwilliamsNHL) January 9, 2014
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)