Habs’ coach Therrien ‘not happy’ with Subban after penalty

Jan 9, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

P.K. Subban, named to Canada’s Olympic hockey team on Tuesday morning, drew the ire of his head coach Wednesday night. Well, at least some of the ire.

In Wednesday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers, Subban, the Montreal Canadiens’ defenseman, was benched for the first half of the third period, after he was given a roughing penalty toward the end of a scrum that concluded the second period.

The Habs subsequently lost the game 3-1, while the Flyers earned their 10th straight victory on home ice.

The time-on-ice statistics sheet at NHL.com shows Subban got all of six seconds of ice time in the first half of the third period, and that was only because he had been released from the penalty box and briefly into the play.

His next shift after that didn’t come until around the 11:30 mark of the period.

“Didn’t like the penalty,” Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien said, as per NHL.com. “Especially after a scrum – 20 seconds after it. It’s not a hockey play. Not happy.”

1. phillyphanatic77 - Jan 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM

That’s what happens when a dirty player does what he does. I commend Therrien for actually caring that his star was out of control, or maybe it’s just that he got caught.

• greenmtnboy31 - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Dirty player? Sacrebleu!

While I agree there are situations where Subban needs to step up and man up, he’s far from a dirty player.

I’m guessing one of the girls on your team got crushed by Subban, probably had to crawl off the ice and now you’re sour about it.

• yougotgirouxed - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM

You guessed wrong. He actually punched one of our guys in the face, right in front of a ref, well after the 2nd ended and the refs were trying to break up the scrum. That’s a dirty play.

• c9castine - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM

i hope you hold your coach to the same standard.

and yeah right come on subban is dirty. he plays like a dick, and crosses the line a lot. slew foots, slashes, and butt ends are the norm for him.

pretty good overall defenseman though. sooner or later therien is going to get the out of your game or your going to have a hard time with him. he is fair but not tolerant of shenanigans. the kid has a good attitude so it will work out.

2. blomfeld - Jan 9, 2014 at 12:53 AM

PK Subban should ‘stand down’ from any trepidations that he’s feeling, because the French haven’t the nature for war. Their Gallic laziness combines with their Latinate voluptuousness with the result that they would rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.

GO SUBBAN GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bsaures - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:10 AM

You may want to open a History textbook once in a while the french have fought hundreds of wars winning most of them and they owned most of mainland Europe at one time but ya they did that by asking nicely. They also are one of the biggest reasons that USA is even a country a not Britain toilet paper anymore.

And in Case you havent noticed PK is black his parents are Jamaican he isnt French but given the state of America’s school system you probably dont know the difference.

• blomfeld - Jan 9, 2014 at 2:12 AM

RIGHT FLANK, MAKE READY !

Friend, although my bloodlines have been antagonists with you people for centuries, I nonetheless retain ‘great’ respect for you and your kind … in fact, it’s even possible that I might even love you guys ? :)

• tightbutth0le - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:53 AM

It’s unbelievable to me that this comment has more thumbs down than up. All you did was post historical facts. But God help the man who likes Freedom Fries and pokes a pin in the inflated ego of America.

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:51 AM

it’s because the French are always so smug in their America hating. hate America like the rest of your Canadian habitantes and you may get some likes.

oh, that, and the fact that the US is more recently responsible for France not being Germany II right now.

• bsaures - Jan 9, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Trust me most of Canada hates the US just as much or even more than the Quebecois do. In fact most of the world do.

Oh and selling one American Rifle used to shoot thousands of americans but not registered because that would be stupid and infringing on my rights.

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

“like the rest of your Canadian habitantes”

does habitantes mean strictly the French? not trying to be a smart a**, it’s a legit question. we don’t hear much about Canadian culture down here in Virginny. i was TRYING to refer to all Canadians… because I realize the US is hated (until nations need some military backup, then we’re everybody’s best friend).

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM

oh ya, also, it was a joke.

• bsaures - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Lol Canada has never needed Americas military help in fact the Americans have asked for Canada’s help more often (you need atleast one country that can read a map to attack someone)

A habitant is a French Canadian whos roots go back to the original settlers along the St Laurence river (Quebec) It is why the Canadiens nickname is the habs.

Are all people who live in Virginny inbred racist hicks like they are depicted in tv, movies, and books serious question

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

was trying to be cordial, but I can see now that since I’m American, you’re just gonna be a straight up di**. enjoy your winter, sir.

• valoisvipers - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Hello friend, For sale…..One French Army Rifle…. never been fired and only dropped twice.

• cofran2004 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM

lmao! You sir, just won the internet. It is yours for the day.

3. titansrbeast - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM

Oh gawsh. Pernell Karl Subban really needs to quiddich! Start playing like a man! Eat vegetables and get strong and come back bayter than ayver! No excuses no quitting!

LEGO PERNELL KARL SUBBAN – TROPHY AWARD WINNER FOR BEST PLAYER AYVER TO STEP FYEWT ON THE ICE IN SKATES! AND HE PLAYED THE GAME GREATLY AND WENT BEAST MODE AND LIT PPL UP OCCASIONALLY BUT WHO CARES PERNELL KARL IS A B0SS WITH A ZERO FOR AN “O”

• cofran2004 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:28 PM

How is it possible that you can spell “occasionally,” but not the words “better” or “ever”? Either you’re really, really dumb, or you’re doing it on purpose. Either way… you’re really, really dumb.

• titansrbeast - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Oh no, either way, am I really REALLY dumb? Oh my GAWD man! You’re so rude!

Actually, I could care less what you to say you little filthy rat. Don’t make comments on my posts unless you recognize the sheer brilliance/epicness that they are. You wanna start throwing em down bro?!?! DO YA?!?!

• cofran2004 - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Oh my gawd… an internet tough guy? I may as well just go home now. I bow to you…

Or… well… I don’t.

• titansrbeast - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I don’t care if you bow or not, and I never said I was tough. I just said I could care less what you have to say, but I guess you’re just really, really dumb and couldn’t understand.

• cofran2004 - Jan 10, 2014 at 11:07 AM

No, I understood. And understand what you’re doing. And see what you did there. Hilarious.

Or not. We’ll let the thirty-six thumbs down you’ve received since the conversation began decide.

• titansrbeast - Jan 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Oh NO!!! You mean I ACTUALLY got thumsdeded down?!??!?!? OH NOEZ!!!

Good, I hope I keep getting thumbs down. My comments are the greatest, your’s are trash.

• cofran2004 - Jan 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Again, lets refer to the thumbs up/down to see who’s comments are trash. :)

• titansrbeast - Jan 10, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Again, let’s refer to the fact that I welcome thumbs down.

I HAZ 30 THUMBSDEDED DOWNZ TO UR 1 THUMBS UP I IS MOAR POPULAR ON THIS HEAR WEBSITE

I win.

• cofran2004 - Jan 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Only because no one is reading the thread anymore. This is just a pissing match between you and me. One I usually don’t let myself get involved in, but ah well. Sometimes you have to sink to the level of trash to realize you shouldn’t do so.

Have fun with the only thing in your life you’re good at; being a waste of it (it of course being your life) :)

4. rushledger - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:19 AM

Subban slashes Jordan Staals ankle and no one blames him for it, Cooke does it Karlson and even though that’s an accident Cooke is forever hated it in Ottawa. Cooke obviously a tough example but still hate that Subban has got away worth so many things, he’s a reckless player.

• hazlydose - Jan 9, 2014 at 1:23 PM

It wasn’t a slash, he stomped on Staal’s skate with his blade.

5. montrealbbr - Jan 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Subban is far from a dirty player. I think benching him was a bad move. You dont bench your best defencemen over a mistake he made.

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM

yes you do. he was a liability at that point.

• joey4id - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Well! Here is a first for me. I actually agree with that montreal guy. I understand the coach’s dissatisfaction, and agree that Subban was out of line. However, if Subban overreacted, then so did Therrien. As a coach you either want to send him a message or punish him. Coach Therrien the latter. You punish your best player you punish the team. He needed only to send him a message to express his discontent. Make him miss a shift and the message is heard loud and clear. I seriously doubt whether or not Therrien can coach a superstar. He had his hands full before being fired in Pitt, and we all know what happened after he was replaced. Don’t forget these guys go to battle for the coach. If the players don’t want to play for you, then you find yourself paddling up stream in a canoe.

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM

sitting him 10 mins is too much? that’s essentially just missing 2 shifts. almost the same.

• c9castine - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM

more than 2 shifts for a guy like that. but still the right move. like i said pk does have a good attitude he knows why he got benched and that it was right and hell move on.

you cant let a guy slide like that especially not a guy that you’ve been trying to work bad aspects out of their game. a few shifts off is a fair message. he’s young. nows the time to develop good NHL habits.

6. ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM

can I mention how big a part of the Flyers current successes discipline is? blatant and dangerous slew foot on Streit, check to the numbers on Streit, PK punching Couturier. MINIMAL response from the Flyers, who a year ago, even while up 3 goals, would have given that game away via retaliation minors. maybe Rinaldo shouldn’t have taken that fight, but at least he didn’t instigate.

disclaimer: once again, I’m not referring to regular minor penalty discipline (they still suck there), but more so how they aren’t letting players, even Subban, under their skin. I think their heads are in the right place for once.

• hockey412 - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:44 AM

It’s a decent point…worth pointing out that they still are the worst in the league in major penalties, PIM/Game, and 2nd worst in minors, but you’re right, despite that there is a certain discipline there. Might be maturity sneaking in there…that sucks to see :)

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

as far as the majors go, I put that as much on the logo on their shirts as on who’s wearing the shirts. it’s been said 1000x how the Flyers still act like the bullies at times, but nobody mentions how their opponents still play like they’re playing AGAINST the bullies too. everybody tries to make a statement against them. just look at Prust initiating the fight with Rinaldo… was well timed on Prust’s part, but Rinaldo hadn’t made an aggressive move all night. that just comes with the orange and black (ok, bad example in a 3-0 game… but i think my point is made). note: Rosehill is still scratched and Rinaldo’s acting like the emergency fighter, not the purpose fighter. I like that.

and as long as the minors aren’t dirty and they’re killing them off so well…. I’m somewhat ok with those too.

• c9castine - Jan 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM

fair point to ibeiniid..but they still have a lot of that element in their game. you don’t have to go too far back to a see a flyers player jumping an opponent for no reason.

yeah, thats right. the orpik incident didn’t make me forget :)

• isithockeyseasonyet - Jan 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Ha I was gonna say, that hook lecavalier took was probably the worst play imaginable since the habs couldn’t even get close to mason but I totally agree, the discipline is soooo much better

7. rdurk86 - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM

The “best overall defenseman” doesn’t kill penalties so I don’t think they’ll miss him too much for the 2:00 mins.

8. toiletclown - Jan 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM

this moulinyan

• matt14gg - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Seriously?

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:22 AM

yes, seriously

9. westof1club - Jan 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Bsaures, virginny is where George Allen, Ollie North, and Jerry Falwell all take or have taken refuge. Not to mention the clan marched in full force in Richmond as a statue of Arthur Ashe was to be erected on Monument Avenue, where Civil War “greats” of the south have been immortalized. Rednecks, indeed.

• ibieiniid - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM

yeah, might as well just generalize the population of the state altogether, right?

• cofran2004 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Whereas canada has added… erm… Well, they contributed… no… Hey, the world wouldnt be the same without…. no, that’s wrong too. What good HAS canada added to the world, eh?

Ice hockey excuded of course. That one is a given.

• bsaures - Jan 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Well Canada invented insulin and pacemakers which helps keep many of the morbidly obese Americans alive.

Basketball was invented by a Canadian

Sonar, Walkie Talkies, Gas masks, Alkaline Batteries, Snowmobiles, Garbage Bags, Plexiglass, The machines used to detect explosive vapors, Peanut Butter, Java programming language, Key Frame Animation,The telephone, zippers, Electric Wheelchairs, Instant Replay.

10. skr213 - Jan 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Have fun overpaying PK for the next however many big number of years, Hab fans. He’s good, but I have no idea how he’s become known as an “elite” Dman. I think if he had played his career thus far in Phoenix (who have a comparable record to the Habs over the course of PK’s career), he would be in line for a $5mill per year, 4 year contract. Instead he’s going to get something absurd like $8mill per year for 8 years. This type of thing is killing teams in traditionally big hockey markets.

11. muckleflugga - Jan 9, 2014 at 5:01 PM

i for one, do not consider americans as anymore than friends, brothers and sisters

we disagree and fight like cats and dogs accordingly, hurling grave insults while born of the same sins…but we always make up…it’s in the best interest of americans after-all…

they’ve heard threat of our four sixties’ vintage submarines, lurking in dry-dock, ready to strike within a year or two of notice…they’ve gotten wind of our divine fleet of chinook helicopters…kamikaze…craters…carnage…

they know we could, in moments of notice, resurrect our cf-104 program…most scattered over germany in the present, accounting for more steel left in der vater land than tonnage dropped by b-29s…we taught the french how to play hockey so anything’s possible

traveling in the united states extensively over the years, i have enjoyed the country’s beauty in landscape, cities and people…new york and broadway and nashville and music row and los angeles and hollywood and disneyland are truly amazing…but so are montana, idaho, oregon and washington…stunning beauty and wholesome people…not unlike alberta

yes, hospitality varies according to personality of given locale, much as it does anywhere…contrast new york angst and arrogance with california lay-back and cool…welcome is always cordial…texas is always the biggest surprise…but then i’m white…?

we always marvel and laugh at how remarkably ill-informed the casual american is regarding our homeland and cities in canada…we find ourselves as surprised when we discover how little we know about america and americans…ours are understandings after-all, taken from the popular media including music, movies and television…

no beatles or stones yes, but elvis and the everley brothers and simon and garfunkel and george jones and merle haggard and linda ronstadt and warren zevon and gone with the wind and the godfather and apocalypse now and marlon brando and midnight cowboy and dustin hoffman are the best of the best on this side of the big water…

yet i find myself puzzled by mrs cleaver’s beaver…no beds or bathrooms…archie enlightened us…bonanza…how did a cbc anchorman come to own a substantial piece of nevada…so much land and food so close to truckee…dexter…breaking bad…bloody good but bloody vexing…?

love it all, how can we not…?

no, we bridle and bristle and get down right persnickety when american culture invades our own…but we share the largest border in the world, unguarded with reason…when we are able to top americans in anything including hockey, the joy is measured in respect for the might of our foe

we are friends we are family…until the olympics

looking through the bottom of a glass darkly [ crown royal in the moment ] i leave you this in tribute…:

• blomfeld - Jan 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM

a fantastic commentary friend which mirrors my own sentiments on our American brothers ! :)

***special video presentation for our ‘learned’ friend Flugga ***

AMERICA … THE ‘CAN DO’ NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• toiletclown - Jan 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM

is canada even a real country?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches