Jan 9, 2014, 6:14 PM EST
After experiencing perhaps his best moment of the season, Zac Rinaldo experienced one of his worst.
“Rinaldo sustained a left high ankle sprain,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren confirmed on Thursday, per the team website. “He will be out for approximately six weeks.”
Rinaldo hurt his ankle during a 3-1 win over Montreal on Wednesday night, a game in which he scored his first goal of the season. The injury comes at a time when the agitating forward had firmly established himself as a regular presence in the Philly lineup, as Rinaldo was one of just nine players to appear in all 44 games this season.
The 23-year-old currently leads the Flyers with 101 penalty minutes and 135 hits this season, averaging 7:30 of ice-time per-game.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)