Jan 9, 2014, 6:14 PM EST
After experiencing perhaps his best moment of the season, Zac Rinaldo experienced one of his worst.
“Rinaldo sustained a left high ankle sprain,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren confirmed on Thursday, per the team website. “He will be out for approximately six weeks.”
Rinaldo hurt his ankle during a 3-1 win over Montreal on Wednesday night, a game in which he scored his first goal of the season. The injury comes at a time when the agitating forward had firmly established himself as a regular presence in the Philly lineup, as Rinaldo was one of just nine players to appear in all 44 games this season.
The 23-year-old currently leads the Flyers with 101 penalty minutes and 135 hits this season, averaging 7:30 of ice-time per-game.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)