Jan 9, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
The Hurricanes are riding a four-game winning streak, but if they want to keep that momentum going, they are going to have do so without captain Eric Staal.
Carolina coach Kirk Muller predicted that Staal would be out for a few more contests due to a lower-body injury. The 29-year-old forward wasn’t available on Sunday and would have missed Tuesday’s game against Buffalo as well had it not been postponed due to “hazardous weather conditions”.
“I need to make sure it’s not an issue in the second half of the season,” Staal said.
The good news is that he has been making progress and is still optimistic that he’ll return sooner rather than later.
Carolina will play against Toronto on Thursday, Columbus on Friday, and Calgary on Monday. After that, they have a five day break before they host the Florida Panthers on Jan. 18.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)