Jan 9, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Cory Schneider had to be perfect. There was no other choice Thursday.
The New Jersey Devils goaltender made 26 saves in a 1-0 shutout victory over the Dallas Stars. As you can tell by the score, there was no room for error from Schneider, whose record isn’t great (6-9-5) but is sporting a 2.02 goals-against average, good enough for fifth amongst NHL goalies.
But a game like this one against the Stars wasn’t just an anomaly for Schneider. Take his last start on Jan. 4: He gave up only two goals to the Buffalo Sabres, but the Devils managed only one and lost in regulation.
Or on Nov. 15 against the L.A. Kings. Again, he allowed only the one goal. The Devils lost 2-0.
“He was great. Again, we don’t give him a lot of run support and he’s starting to get used to that … and he’s figured it out. He just has to pitch a shutout,” said Devils head coach Pete DeBoer, as per Tom Gulitti of The Record.
Michael Ryder scored the lone goal for the Devils on Thursday.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)