Jan 9, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Cory Schneider had to be perfect. There was no other choice Thursday.
The New Jersey Devils goaltender made 26 saves in a 1-0 shutout victory over the Dallas Stars. As you can tell by the score, there was no room for error from Schneider, whose record isn’t great (6-9-5) but is sporting a 2.02 goals-against average, good enough for fifth amongst NHL goalies.
But a game like this one against the Stars wasn’t just an anomaly for Schneider. Take his last start on Jan. 4: He gave up only two goals to the Buffalo Sabres, but the Devils managed only one and lost in regulation.
Or on Nov. 15 against the L.A. Kings. Again, he allowed only the one goal. The Devils lost 2-0.
“He was great. Again, we don’t give him a lot of run support and he’s starting to get used to that … and he’s figured it out. He just has to pitch a shutout,” said Devils head coach Pete DeBoer, as per Tom Gulitti of The Record.
Michael Ryder scored the lone goal for the Devils on Thursday.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)