Jan 9, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Cory Schneider had to be perfect. There was no other choice Thursday.
The New Jersey Devils goaltender made 26 saves in a 1-0 shutout victory over the Dallas Stars. As you can tell by the score, there was no room for error from Schneider, whose record isn’t great (6-9-5) but is sporting a 2.02 goals-against average, good enough for fifth amongst NHL goalies.
But a game like this one against the Stars wasn’t just an anomaly for Schneider. Take his last start on Jan. 4: He gave up only two goals to the Buffalo Sabres, but the Devils managed only one and lost in regulation.
Or on Nov. 15 against the L.A. Kings. Again, he allowed only the one goal. The Devils lost 2-0.
“He was great. Again, we don’t give him a lot of run support and he’s starting to get used to that … and he’s figured it out. He just has to pitch a shutout,” said Devils head coach Pete DeBoer, as per Tom Gulitti of The Record.
Michael Ryder scored the lone goal for the Devils on Thursday.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)