Jan 9, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
Cory Schneider had to be perfect. There was no other choice Thursday.
The New Jersey Devils goaltender made 26 saves in a 1-0 shutout victory over the Dallas Stars. As you can tell by the score, there was no room for error from Schneider, whose record isn’t great (6-9-5) but is sporting a 2.02 goals-against average, good enough for fifth amongst NHL goalies.
But a game like this one against the Stars wasn’t just an anomaly for Schneider. Take his last start on Jan. 4: He gave up only two goals to the Buffalo Sabres, but the Devils managed only one and lost in regulation.
Or on Nov. 15 against the L.A. Kings. Again, he allowed only the one goal. The Devils lost 2-0.
“He was great. Again, we don’t give him a lot of run support and he’s starting to get used to that … and he’s figured it out. He just has to pitch a shutout,” said Devils head coach Pete DeBoer, as per Tom Gulitti of The Record.
Michael Ryder scored the lone goal for the Devils on Thursday.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)