Jan 8, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Marek Zidlicky leads New Jersey this season with 42 penalty minutes — and is fifth among NHL defensemen with 21 minors taken — but insists it isn’t all his fault.
“It’s not cool to get a penalty when you just touch the guy with your stick,” Zidlicky said after Monday’s practice. “One time I touched somebody at the glass and he fell down and a penalty is called. That’s tough. I just touched the guy.”
Zidlicky blames his penalties on what he calls the “new NHL,” which he says now has officials calling penalties for things he previously could do when defending opponents.
“They’re looking for more power plays in the games,” he says.
An interesting theory (and an archaic one, considering I haven’t heard “new NHL” in like five years), but one that Devils head coach Peter DeBoer essentially rebuffed. DeBoer told the Star-Ledger that, upon acquiring Zidlicky from Minnesota in Feb. 2012, he was warned about the defenseman’s penchant for taking penalties.
“I remember talking to Jacques Lemaire when we acquired him,” DeBoer said. “Jacques had him in Minnesota. He said, ‘As long as he gets the first minor penalty out of the way in the first period, he’ll be fine after that.’”
In last night’s 3-2 OT loss to Philly, Zidlicky went penalty free — his fourth consecutive game without going to the sin bin. So I guess things are looking up.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)