Jan 8, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The sixth overall pick in the 2007 draft, Gagner is currently Edmonton’s sixth-leading scorer, with 17 points in 33 games. The 24-year-old missed the first 13 games of the season with a broken jaw, courtesy Vancouver’s Zack Kassian.
Given Edmonton’s disastrous 14-27-5 record in a season that was supposed to go much differently, it’s no surprise to hear that Oilers general manager Craig “Man of Action” MacTavish is putting Gagner’s name out there. According to Dreger, “The expected rate of return would be a top-six forward, a top-four defenseman or a starting goalie.”
Gagner signed a three-year, $14.4 million contract in July, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
The Oilers could also trade their first-round pick in this summer’s draft, something MacTavish is more than willing to entertain.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)