Jan 8, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
The sixth overall pick in the 2007 draft, Gagner is currently Edmonton’s sixth-leading scorer, with 17 points in 33 games. The 24-year-old missed the first 13 games of the season with a broken jaw, courtesy Vancouver’s Zack Kassian.
Given Edmonton’s disastrous 14-27-5 record in a season that was supposed to go much differently, it’s no surprise to hear that Oilers general manager Craig “Man of Action” MacTavish is putting Gagner’s name out there. According to Dreger, “The expected rate of return would be a top-six forward, a top-four defenseman or a starting goalie.”
Gagner signed a three-year, $14.4 million contract in July, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
The Oilers could also trade their first-round pick in this summer’s draft, something MacTavish is more than willing to entertain.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54