Jan 8, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
The sixth overall pick in the 2007 draft, Gagner is currently Edmonton’s sixth-leading scorer, with 17 points in 33 games. The 24-year-old missed the first 13 games of the season with a broken jaw, courtesy Vancouver’s Zack Kassian.
Given Edmonton’s disastrous 14-27-5 record in a season that was supposed to go much differently, it’s no surprise to hear that Oilers general manager Craig “Man of Action” MacTavish is putting Gagner’s name out there. According to Dreger, “The expected rate of return would be a top-six forward, a top-four defenseman or a starting goalie.”
Gagner signed a three-year, $14.4 million contract in July, allowing him to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
The Oilers could also trade their first-round pick in this summer’s draft, something MacTavish is more than willing to entertain.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally with at MSG 10
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 22
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51