Jan 8, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Winless in their last five, the Vancouver Canucks are a “fragile” team.
Head coach John Tortorella didn’t hesitate to admit it last night after the Pittsburgh Penguins scored twice in the final 71 seconds to tie it, ultimately winning 5-4 in the shootout.
“But that’s part of growing as a team,” said Tortorella, notably calm and composed after such a tough loss. “That’s what’s on us. Yeah, I think it’s fragile. I think all teams get in this state; it’s how quickly you can get out of it. That’s the important thing for our club right now; it’s how to change the momentum.”
Last night’s blown lead wasn’t the first of the season for Vancouver. In fact, it wasn’t even the first in the last week. Sunday in Anaheim, the Ducks tied it with 87 seconds left and won in the final tick of overtime.
For the Canucks, it sure feels a long way from 2010-11, when, if anything, they were accused of overconfidence and arrogance.
It also won’t get any easier anytime soon. Friday, the Blues pay a visit to Rogers Arena. Then, it’s a three-game trip to Los Angeles, Anaheim and Phoenix.
“The state of our team right now, we’ve gotta just try to get the positives and build off it,” said Tortorella, who seemed pleased with the overall performance versus the Penguins, save for the late collapse.
“There’s no sense in whining about it. There’s no sense in looking for excuses. We just have to continue to try and get better as a team.”
Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Six goals in 57 games last season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
More Boston news.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
The latest in an ongoing saga.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “
Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $2.9 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
They both finished in the top 10 in minutes in 2014-15.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut during the 2013-14 campaign before his career was derailed.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
He played with four different NHL teams last season.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
It’s not all about the Zac Rinaldo trade, although that certainly didn’t help.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:29 PM EDT
He establish himself with the team after years of work primarily in the AHL.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
San Jose still has an opening on its blueline.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
He’ll start the season as Vancouver’s backup goaltender.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
They are now set to become unrestricted free agents.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly earn $1 million next season.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Toronto, Calgary and Pittsburgh are amongst the teams, which have reached out.
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 0
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 1
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 12
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 103
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)