Jan 8, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Winless in their last five, the Vancouver Canucks are a “fragile” team.
Head coach John Tortorella didn’t hesitate to admit it last night after the Pittsburgh Penguins scored twice in the final 71 seconds to tie it, ultimately winning 5-4 in the shootout.
“But that’s part of growing as a team,” said Tortorella, notably calm and composed after such a tough loss. “That’s what’s on us. Yeah, I think it’s fragile. I think all teams get in this state; it’s how quickly you can get out of it. That’s the important thing for our club right now; it’s how to change the momentum.”
Last night’s blown lead wasn’t the first of the season for Vancouver. In fact, it wasn’t even the first in the last week. Sunday in Anaheim, the Ducks tied it with 87 seconds left and won in the final tick of overtime.
For the Canucks, it sure feels a long way from 2010-11, when, if anything, they were accused of overconfidence and arrogance.
It also won’t get any easier anytime soon. Friday, the Blues pay a visit to Rogers Arena. Then, it’s a three-game trip to Los Angeles, Anaheim and Phoenix.
“The state of our team right now, we’ve gotta just try to get the positives and build off it,” said Tortorella, who seemed pleased with the overall performance versus the Penguins, save for the late collapse.
“There’s no sense in whining about it. There’s no sense in looking for excuses. We just have to continue to try and get better as a team.”
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
All that and more, inside.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)