Jan 8, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
Winless in their last five, the Vancouver Canucks are a “fragile” team.
Head coach John Tortorella didn’t hesitate to admit it last night after the Pittsburgh Penguins scored twice in the final 71 seconds to tie it, ultimately winning 5-4 in the shootout.
“But that’s part of growing as a team,” said Tortorella, notably calm and composed after such a tough loss. “That’s what’s on us. Yeah, I think it’s fragile. I think all teams get in this state; it’s how quickly you can get out of it. That’s the important thing for our club right now; it’s how to change the momentum.”
Last night’s blown lead wasn’t the first of the season for Vancouver. In fact, it wasn’t even the first in the last week. Sunday in Anaheim, the Ducks tied it with 87 seconds left and won in the final tick of overtime.
For the Canucks, it sure feels a long way from 2010-11, when, if anything, they were accused of overconfidence and arrogance.
It also won’t get any easier anytime soon. Friday, the Blues pay a visit to Rogers Arena. Then, it’s a three-game trip to Los Angeles, Anaheim and Phoenix.
“The state of our team right now, we’ve gotta just try to get the positives and build off it,” said Tortorella, who seemed pleased with the overall performance versus the Penguins, save for the late collapse.
“There’s no sense in whining about it. There’s no sense in looking for excuses. We just have to continue to try and get better as a team.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)