Jan 8, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture underwent “successful” surgery on Wednesday to deal with a reported hand injury and is expected to make a full recovery, said general manager Doug Wilson in a statement.
“He will be starting his rehabilitation immediately and we look forward to getting him back in our line-up. No specific return date is set at this time,” said Wilson.
It was reported on Monday evening that Couture had recently been dealing with a hand injury, but that it would require surgery. Citing a source, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area reported that Couture could miss three to four weeks as a result.
Despite the injury, which he had been playing through for several weeks, Couture, 24, has played in 43 of the Sharks’ 44 games this season. He’s scored 14 goals and 35 points.
He had been in the conversation to be named to Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which was announced Tuesday morning. He was left off the list of 25 players, although it was reported in the San Jose Mercury News that the decision was not based on his injury.
“It’s pretty, pretty disappointing to not make that team,” said Couture on Tuesday. “I thought I did everything I could to put myself up there. I mean, it’s Team Canada. It’s an impossible team to pick.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)