Jan 8, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture underwent “successful” surgery on Wednesday to deal with a reported hand injury and is expected to make a full recovery, said general manager Doug Wilson in a statement.
“He will be starting his rehabilitation immediately and we look forward to getting him back in our line-up. No specific return date is set at this time,” said Wilson.
It was reported on Monday evening that Couture had recently been dealing with a hand injury, but that it would require surgery. Citing a source, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area reported that Couture could miss three to four weeks as a result.
Despite the injury, which he had been playing through for several weeks, Couture, 24, has played in 43 of the Sharks’ 44 games this season. He’s scored 14 goals and 35 points.
He had been in the conversation to be named to Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which was announced Tuesday morning. He was left off the list of 25 players, although it was reported in the San Jose Mercury News that the decision was not based on his injury.
“It’s pretty, pretty disappointing to not make that team,” said Couture on Tuesday. “I thought I did everything I could to put myself up there. I mean, it’s Team Canada. It’s an impossible team to pick.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)