Jan 8, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture underwent “successful” surgery on Wednesday to deal with a reported hand injury and is expected to make a full recovery, said general manager Doug Wilson in a statement.
“He will be starting his rehabilitation immediately and we look forward to getting him back in our line-up. No specific return date is set at this time,” said Wilson.
It was reported on Monday evening that Couture had recently been dealing with a hand injury, but that it would require surgery. Citing a source, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area reported that Couture could miss three to four weeks as a result.
Despite the injury, which he had been playing through for several weeks, Couture, 24, has played in 43 of the Sharks’ 44 games this season. He’s scored 14 goals and 35 points.
He had been in the conversation to be named to Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which was announced Tuesday morning. He was left off the list of 25 players, although it was reported in the San Jose Mercury News that the decision was not based on his injury.
“It’s pretty, pretty disappointing to not make that team,” said Couture on Tuesday. “I thought I did everything I could to put myself up there. I mean, it’s Team Canada. It’s an impossible team to pick.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)