Jan 8, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture underwent “successful” surgery on Wednesday to deal with a reported hand injury and is expected to make a full recovery, said general manager Doug Wilson in a statement.
“He will be starting his rehabilitation immediately and we look forward to getting him back in our line-up. No specific return date is set at this time,” said Wilson.
It was reported on Monday evening that Couture had recently been dealing with a hand injury, but that it would require surgery. Citing a source, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area reported that Couture could miss three to four weeks as a result.
Despite the injury, which he had been playing through for several weeks, Couture, 24, has played in 43 of the Sharks’ 44 games this season. He’s scored 14 goals and 35 points.
He had been in the conversation to be named to Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which was announced Tuesday morning. He was left off the list of 25 players, although it was reported in the San Jose Mercury News that the decision was not based on his injury.
“It’s pretty, pretty disappointing to not make that team,” said Couture on Tuesday. “I thought I did everything I could to put myself up there. I mean, it’s Team Canada. It’s an impossible team to pick.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)