Jan 8, 2014, 9:26 PM EST
San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture underwent “successful” surgery on Wednesday to deal with a reported hand injury and is expected to make a full recovery, said general manager Doug Wilson in a statement.
“He will be starting his rehabilitation immediately and we look forward to getting him back in our line-up. No specific return date is set at this time,” said Wilson.
It was reported on Monday evening that Couture had recently been dealing with a hand injury, but that it would require surgery. Citing a source, Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area reported that Couture could miss three to four weeks as a result.
Despite the injury, which he had been playing through for several weeks, Couture, 24, has played in 43 of the Sharks’ 44 games this season. He’s scored 14 goals and 35 points.
He had been in the conversation to be named to Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which was announced Tuesday morning. He was left off the list of 25 players, although it was reported in the San Jose Mercury News that the decision was not based on his injury.
“It’s pretty, pretty disappointing to not make that team,” said Couture on Tuesday. “I thought I did everything I could to put myself up there. I mean, it’s Team Canada. It’s an impossible team to pick.”
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)