Jan 8, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t exactly off to a great start in 2014. A belated resolution might be to change that.
The Blackhawks suffered their third loss of the New Year – two of those came in either overtime or shootout, so they did earn a point in each case – in a 3-2 defeat at the hands of the New York Rangers on Wednesday night.
The Blackhawks, defending Stanley Cup champions, managed to overcome a slow start, tying the game against their Original Six foes in the second period. But Carl Hagelin‘s late third-period goal gave the visitors the win in the end.
“We have too many guys right now not contributing to the level we saw most of the season,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville said after the game, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.
The Rangers are in Montreal on Saturday to play the Canadiens, before opening up a four-game home stand, beginning the very next day.
In the Central Division, the Blackhawks, with 29 wins and 67 points in 46 games, have separated themselves from most of the pack, except for one team. The St. Louis Blues, winners of six straight, sit only two points behind the Blackhawks for the division lead, with four games in hand.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)