Jan 8, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks aren’t exactly off to a great start in 2014. A belated resolution might be to change that.
The Blackhawks suffered their third loss of the New Year – two of those came in either overtime or shootout, so they did earn a point in each case – in a 3-2 defeat at the hands of the New York Rangers on Wednesday night.
The Blackhawks, defending Stanley Cup champions, managed to overcome a slow start, tying the game against their Original Six foes in the second period. But Carl Hagelin‘s late third-period goal gave the visitors the win in the end.
“We have too many guys right now not contributing to the level we saw most of the season,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville said after the game, as per Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.
The Rangers are in Montreal on Saturday to play the Canadiens, before opening up a four-game home stand, beginning the very next day.
In the Central Division, the Blackhawks, with 29 wins and 67 points in 46 games, have separated themselves from most of the pack, except for one team. The St. Louis Blues, winners of six straight, sit only two points behind the Blackhawks for the division lead, with four games in hand.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)