Jan 8, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins engaged in a wild game with the Canucks on Tuesday. Pittsburgh built a 2-0 lead, saw Vancouver storm back to take a 4-2 advantage and then Kris Letang and Crosby combined for last-minute goals to send the contest into OT at 4-4.
The game then made it to the shootout, when only one player scored … and of course, it was Crosby.
It seems unfair to boil it all down to the prolific 26-year-old (he even fought off a foot injury that may or may not be a big deal), so let’s spread the credit a bit, too. Kris Letang played like a guy who’s angry about missing out on the Olympics, finding the net while hammering six shots on goal. Zack Kassian had a goal and an assist not all that far removed from getting a skate to the skull. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 25th win of the season while James Neal and Evgeni Malkin continue to produce when they’re in the lineup. Dan Bylsma took the Penguins’ franchise lead with 233 coaching wins.
Still, it was another special night for Crosby, who expanded his league-leading point total to an impressive 65. Here’s hoping that foot doesn’t ruin future fun, then.
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 9
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)