Jan 8, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins engaged in a wild game with the Canucks on Tuesday. Pittsburgh built a 2-0 lead, saw Vancouver storm back to take a 4-2 advantage and then Kris Letang and Crosby combined for last-minute goals to send the contest into OT at 4-4.
The game then made it to the shootout, when only one player scored … and of course, it was Crosby.
It seems unfair to boil it all down to the prolific 26-year-old (he even fought off a foot injury that may or may not be a big deal), so let’s spread the credit a bit, too. Kris Letang played like a guy who’s angry about missing out on the Olympics, finding the net while hammering six shots on goal. Zack Kassian had a goal and an assist not all that far removed from getting a skate to the skull. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 25th win of the season while James Neal and Evgeni Malkin continue to produce when they’re in the lineup. Dan Bylsma took the Penguins’ franchise lead with 233 coaching wins.
Still, it was another special night for Crosby, who expanded his league-leading point total to an impressive 65. Here’s hoping that foot doesn’t ruin future fun, then.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)