Jan 8, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins engaged in a wild game with the Canucks on Tuesday. Pittsburgh built a 2-0 lead, saw Vancouver storm back to take a 4-2 advantage and then Kris Letang and Crosby combined for last-minute goals to send the contest into OT at 4-4.
The game then made it to the shootout, when only one player scored … and of course, it was Crosby.
It seems unfair to boil it all down to the prolific 26-year-old (he even fought off a foot injury that may or may not be a big deal), so let’s spread the credit a bit, too. Kris Letang played like a guy who’s angry about missing out on the Olympics, finding the net while hammering six shots on goal. Zack Kassian had a goal and an assist not all that far removed from getting a skate to the skull. Marc-Andre Fleury earned his 25th win of the season while James Neal and Evgeni Malkin continue to produce when they’re in the lineup. Dan Bylsma took the Penguins’ franchise lead with 233 coaching wins.
Still, it was another special night for Crosby, who expanded his league-leading point total to an impressive 65. Here’s hoping that foot doesn’t ruin future fun, then.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)