Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Suffice to say Todd McLellan isn’t a big fan of the officiating the Sharks have seen this season.
On Tuesday night, San Jose lost 3-2 in Nashville on this goal, which proved to be the game winner:
Allowing the marker to stand — referee Mike Hasenfratz reportedly explained that Marc-Edouard Vlasic pushed Colin Wilson into Antti Niemi — proved the tipping point for McLellan, who called it a “blown call” then ranted not just about the Nashville goal, but the number of decisions that have adversely affected his team this season.
“We’ve played 44 games,” he said. “I go back to the Buffalo blown call in overtime, I go back to the blown call in Winnipeg, I go to one in Minnesota and I go to the one tonight. That’s one in every 11 games.
“I understand mistakes because I make a lot of them behind the bench,” he continued. “But when you get an explanation from a group of people and it didn’t happen, it’s disappointing. It really is disappointing.
“There’s also protocol to follow in our league and that protocol is you get together and you discuss it and that didn’t happen either. Obviously I’m not very happy with it.”
In case you’re wondering about the incidents McLellan referenced:
The Sharks have been erratic of late, losing three of five, so one wonders if McLellan’s comments are simply the result of growing frustration.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)