Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
Suffice to say Todd McLellan isn’t a big fan of the officiating the Sharks have seen this season.
On Tuesday night, San Jose lost 3-2 in Nashville on this goal, which proved to be the game winner:
Allowing the marker to stand — referee Mike Hasenfratz reportedly explained that Marc-Edouard Vlasic pushed Colin Wilson into Antti Niemi — proved the tipping point for McLellan, who called it a “blown call” then ranted not just about the Nashville goal, but the number of decisions that have adversely affected his team this season.
“We’ve played 44 games,” he said. “I go back to the Buffalo blown call in overtime, I go back to the blown call in Winnipeg, I go to one in Minnesota and I go to the one tonight. That’s one in every 11 games.
“I understand mistakes because I make a lot of them behind the bench,” he continued. “But when you get an explanation from a group of people and it didn’t happen, it’s disappointing. It really is disappointing.
“There’s also protocol to follow in our league and that protocol is you get together and you discuss it and that didn’t happen either. Obviously I’m not very happy with it.”
In case you’re wondering about the incidents McLellan referenced:
The Sharks have been erratic of late, losing three of five, so one wonders if McLellan’s comments are simply the result of growing frustration.
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 5
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)