Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
Suffice to say Todd McLellan isn’t a big fan of the officiating the Sharks have seen this season.
On Tuesday night, San Jose lost 3-2 in Nashville on this goal, which proved to be the game winner:
Allowing the marker to stand — referee Mike Hasenfratz reportedly explained that Marc-Edouard Vlasic pushed Colin Wilson into Antti Niemi — proved the tipping point for McLellan, who called it a “blown call” then ranted not just about the Nashville goal, but the number of decisions that have adversely affected his team this season.
“We’ve played 44 games,” he said. “I go back to the Buffalo blown call in overtime, I go back to the blown call in Winnipeg, I go to one in Minnesota and I go to the one tonight. That’s one in every 11 games.
“I understand mistakes because I make a lot of them behind the bench,” he continued. “But when you get an explanation from a group of people and it didn’t happen, it’s disappointing. It really is disappointing.
“There’s also protocol to follow in our league and that protocol is you get together and you discuss it and that didn’t happen either. Obviously I’m not very happy with it.”
In case you’re wondering about the incidents McLellan referenced:
The Sharks have been erratic of late, losing three of five, so one wonders if McLellan’s comments are simply the result of growing frustration.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)