Jan 8, 2014, 10:35 AM EST
Suffice to say Todd McLellan isn’t a big fan of the officiating the Sharks have seen this season.
On Tuesday night, San Jose lost 3-2 in Nashville on this goal, which proved to be the game winner:
Allowing the marker to stand — referee Mike Hasenfratz reportedly explained that Marc-Edouard Vlasic pushed Colin Wilson into Antti Niemi — proved the tipping point for McLellan, who called it a “blown call” then ranted not just about the Nashville goal, but the number of decisions that have adversely affected his team this season.
“We’ve played 44 games,” he said. “I go back to the Buffalo blown call in overtime, I go back to the blown call in Winnipeg, I go to one in Minnesota and I go to the one tonight. That’s one in every 11 games.
“I understand mistakes because I make a lot of them behind the bench,” he continued. “But when you get an explanation from a group of people and it didn’t happen, it’s disappointing. It really is disappointing.
“There’s also protocol to follow in our league and that protocol is you get together and you discuss it and that didn’t happen either. Obviously I’m not very happy with it.”
In case you’re wondering about the incidents McLellan referenced:
The Sharks have been erratic of late, losing three of five, so one wonders if McLellan’s comments are simply the result of growing frustration.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 10
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 16
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)