Jan 8, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
When a player isn’t selected to play in the Olympics for their country, it stings. For Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson it was more of a shock.
Johnson has been a fixture on Team USA in both the Olympics and World Championships over the years and, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports, he wasn’t very pleased about the omission and puts some of the blame on Jackets coach Todd Richards.
“It’s over now. … Anything that’s said now is empty and meaningless,” Johnson said. “When I needed the belief and trust, I didn’t get it, and I didn’t get it when it counted from numerous people.”
Johnson admitted he got off to a slow start this season and that likely contributed to him not making the United States roster. He missed out on the Team USA roster while newcomers like Cam Fowler and John Carlson got the call ahead of him.
Richards explained what happened with Johnson to Portzline.
“Jack’s play wasn’t where it needed to be at the start of the year,” Richards said. “Now, with him at the top of his game, look where we’re at as a team, how well we’re playing. It’s a compliment to him and his game.”
Compliments are nice, but Johnson would probably like a trip to Sochi instead.
- Jordan Staal needs help off the ice in Canes’ preseason game 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)