Jan 8, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
When a player isn’t selected to play in the Olympics for their country, it stings. For Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson it was more of a shock.
Johnson has been a fixture on Team USA in both the Olympics and World Championships over the years and, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports, he wasn’t very pleased about the omission and puts some of the blame on Jackets coach Todd Richards.
“It’s over now. … Anything that’s said now is empty and meaningless,” Johnson said. “When I needed the belief and trust, I didn’t get it, and I didn’t get it when it counted from numerous people.”
Johnson admitted he got off to a slow start this season and that likely contributed to him not making the United States roster. He missed out on the Team USA roster while newcomers like Cam Fowler and John Carlson got the call ahead of him.
Richards explained what happened with Johnson to Portzline.
“Jack’s play wasn’t where it needed to be at the start of the year,” Richards said. “Now, with him at the top of his game, look where we’re at as a team, how well we’re playing. It’s a compliment to him and his game.”
Compliments are nice, but Johnson would probably like a trip to Sochi instead.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)