Jan 8, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
When a player isn’t selected to play in the Olympics for their country, it stings. For Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson it was more of a shock.
Johnson has been a fixture on Team USA in both the Olympics and World Championships over the years and, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports, he wasn’t very pleased about the omission and puts some of the blame on Jackets coach Todd Richards.
“It’s over now. … Anything that’s said now is empty and meaningless,” Johnson said. “When I needed the belief and trust, I didn’t get it, and I didn’t get it when it counted from numerous people.”
Johnson admitted he got off to a slow start this season and that likely contributed to him not making the United States roster. He missed out on the Team USA roster while newcomers like Cam Fowler and John Carlson got the call ahead of him.
Richards explained what happened with Johnson to Portzline.
“Jack’s play wasn’t where it needed to be at the start of the year,” Richards said. “Now, with him at the top of his game, look where we’re at as a team, how well we’re playing. It’s a compliment to him and his game.”
Compliments are nice, but Johnson would probably like a trip to Sochi instead.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)