Jan 8, 2014, 9:56 AM EST
When a player isn’t selected to play in the Olympics for their country, it stings. For Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson it was more of a shock.
Johnson has been a fixture on Team USA in both the Olympics and World Championships over the years and, as Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports, he wasn’t very pleased about the omission and puts some of the blame on Jackets coach Todd Richards.
“It’s over now. … Anything that’s said now is empty and meaningless,” Johnson said. “When I needed the belief and trust, I didn’t get it, and I didn’t get it when it counted from numerous people.”
Johnson admitted he got off to a slow start this season and that likely contributed to him not making the United States roster. He missed out on the Team USA roster while newcomers like Cam Fowler and John Carlson got the call ahead of him.
Richards explained what happened with Johnson to Portzline.
“Jack’s play wasn’t where it needed to be at the start of the year,” Richards said. “Now, with him at the top of his game, look where we’re at as a team, how well we’re playing. It’s a compliment to him and his game.”
Compliments are nice, but Johnson would probably like a trip to Sochi instead.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)