Jan 8, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Following Monday’s 4-3 loss to Calgary, Colorado head coach Patrick Roy blasted the play of goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
On Tuesday, Giguere said Roy was right in doing so.
“At the end of the day, I have not been playing my best,” Giguere told the Denver Post. “My job isn’t that difficult to assess. I’ve got to go in there, give [Semyon Varlamov] a rest and make it so they want to play me again.”
The Calgary loss prompted Giguere to question his team’s work ethic, as he said the Flames were “hungrier at the net, both nets.” Upon hearing that, Roy re-directed the critique back at the goalie:
“I think Jiggy should have played better tonight. We’re not going to look at our team. We might not have had the jump we should have, but Jiggy needs to be better,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“He hasn’t played well in the last four or five games. He should stand up and say, ‘I’m not playing up to what I should.’ And he did not. He needs to be better, and we need him playing better. Period.”
Giguere was rock solid to start the season — splitting second star of the week honors with Varlamov in October — but has struggled of late. He’s mired in a four-game losing streak and has given up 11 goals over his last two outings, which included a brutal 7-2 loss in Chicago last Friday in which he was hooked after the second period.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)