Jan 8, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Following Monday’s 4-3 loss to Calgary, Colorado head coach Patrick Roy blasted the play of goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
On Tuesday, Giguere said Roy was right in doing so.
“At the end of the day, I have not been playing my best,” Giguere told the Denver Post. “My job isn’t that difficult to assess. I’ve got to go in there, give [Semyon Varlamov] a rest and make it so they want to play me again.”
The Calgary loss prompted Giguere to question his team’s work ethic, as he said the Flames were “hungrier at the net, both nets.” Upon hearing that, Roy re-directed the critique back at the goalie:
“I think Jiggy should have played better tonight. We’re not going to look at our team. We might not have had the jump we should have, but Jiggy needs to be better,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“He hasn’t played well in the last four or five games. He should stand up and say, ‘I’m not playing up to what I should.’ And he did not. He needs to be better, and we need him playing better. Period.”
Giguere was rock solid to start the season — splitting second star of the week honors with Varlamov in October — but has struggled of late. He’s mired in a four-game losing streak and has given up 11 goals over his last two outings, which included a brutal 7-2 loss in Chicago last Friday in which he was hooked after the second period.
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiation’s’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 11
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)