Jan 8, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Following Monday’s 4-3 loss to Calgary, Colorado head coach Patrick Roy blasted the play of goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
On Tuesday, Giguere said Roy was right in doing so.
“At the end of the day, I have not been playing my best,” Giguere told the Denver Post. “My job isn’t that difficult to assess. I’ve got to go in there, give [Semyon Varlamov] a rest and make it so they want to play me again.”
The Calgary loss prompted Giguere to question his team’s work ethic, as he said the Flames were “hungrier at the net, both nets.” Upon hearing that, Roy re-directed the critique back at the goalie:
“I think Jiggy should have played better tonight. We’re not going to look at our team. We might not have had the jump we should have, but Jiggy needs to be better,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“He hasn’t played well in the last four or five games. He should stand up and say, ‘I’m not playing up to what I should.’ And he did not. He needs to be better, and we need him playing better. Period.”
Giguere was rock solid to start the season — splitting second star of the week honors with Varlamov in October — but has struggled of late. He’s mired in a four-game losing streak and has given up 11 goals over his last two outings, which included a brutal 7-2 loss in Chicago last Friday in which he was hooked after the second period.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)