Jan 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Back in July, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told PHT that the league and players’ union were taking a wait-and-see approach when it came to participation in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
“It’s our joint intention (NHL and NHLPA) to assess the experience in Sochi before even considering whether to continue with Olympic participation going forward,” wrote Daly in an email.
At the time, we surmised that the 2014 Games would be the last ones in which NHLers participated, at least for the foreseeable future. And based on Daly’s recent comments to the Wall Street Journal, we’ll stick with that prediction.
“Our experience with the Olympics has been a mixed bag—it’s not our tournament, we’re not in control of it, it’s at a time of the year that doesn’t work in our regular-season schedule,” Daly said. “On the positive side, we recognize we’re on a world-wide stage.”
In November, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman voiced his support for the return of the World Cup, as opposed to ongoing participation in the Olympics.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)