Jan 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Back in July, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told PHT that the league and players’ union were taking a wait-and-see approach when it came to participation in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
“It’s our joint intention (NHL and NHLPA) to assess the experience in Sochi before even considering whether to continue with Olympic participation going forward,” wrote Daly in an email.
At the time, we surmised that the 2014 Games would be the last ones in which NHLers participated, at least for the foreseeable future. And based on Daly’s recent comments to the Wall Street Journal, we’ll stick with that prediction.
“Our experience with the Olympics has been a mixed bag—it’s not our tournament, we’re not in control of it, it’s at a time of the year that doesn’t work in our regular-season schedule,” Daly said. “On the positive side, we recognize we’re on a world-wide stage.”
In November, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman voiced his support for the return of the World Cup, as opposed to ongoing participation in the Olympics.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)