Jan 8, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Back in July, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told PHT that the league and players’ union were taking a wait-and-see approach when it came to participation in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
“It’s our joint intention (NHL and NHLPA) to assess the experience in Sochi before even considering whether to continue with Olympic participation going forward,” wrote Daly in an email.
At the time, we surmised that the 2014 Games would be the last ones in which NHLers participated, at least for the foreseeable future. And based on Daly’s recent comments to the Wall Street Journal, we’ll stick with that prediction.
“Our experience with the Olympics has been a mixed bag—it’s not our tournament, we’re not in control of it, it’s at a time of the year that doesn’t work in our regular-season schedule,” Daly said. “On the positive side, we recognize we’re on a world-wide stage.”
In November, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman voiced his support for the return of the World Cup, as opposed to ongoing participation in the Olympics.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)