Jan 8, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Chara, who also serves as the Bruins’ captain, will be reprising his role from the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, where he led the Slovaks to a surprise semifinal appearance and fourth-place finish.
It’s unclear who will act as Chara’s alternates for the tournament. Marian Hossa (also named to this year’s team) and the late Pavol Demitra both wore the “A” for Slovakia in ’10, and there appears to be no shortage of veteran presences capable of filling the void — Michal Handzus, Lubomir Visnovsky and Marian Gaborik, to name a few.
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 35
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 16
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6