Jan 8, 2014, 2:05 PM EST
Chara, who also serves as the Bruins’ captain, will be reprising his role from the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, where he led the Slovaks to a surprise semifinal appearance and fourth-place finish.
It’s unclear who will act as Chara’s alternates for the tournament. Marian Hossa (also named to this year’s team) and the late Pavol Demitra both wore the “A” for Slovakia in ’10, and there appears to be no shortage of veteran presences capable of filling the void — Michal Handzus, Lubomir Visnovsky and Marian Gaborik, to name a few.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 8
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 35
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 18
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32