Jan 8, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Chara, who also serves as the Bruins’ captain, will be reprising his role from the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, where he led the Slovaks to a surprise semifinal appearance and fourth-place finish.
It’s unclear who will act as Chara’s alternates for the tournament. Marian Hossa (also named to this year’s team) and the late Pavol Demitra both wore the “A” for Slovakia in ’10, and there appears to be no shortage of veteran presences capable of filling the void — Michal Handzus, Lubomir Visnovsky and Marian Gaborik, to name a few.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 50
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50