Jan 8, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Ottawa will welcome back captain Jason Spezza tonight when it takes on the Avs in Colorado.
Spezza, who missed the last four contests with a hip injury, skated on a line with Zack Smith and Mark Stone during yesterday’s practice — forming the “SSS Line” — and will try to not upset the apple cart in his return.
The Sens have won four straight with Spezza out of the lineup, including Saturday’s 4-3 OT victory in Montreal. One of the players that’s stepped up in the captain’s absence is Mika Zibanejad, who has four points in his last three games and seems to have found chemistry on a line with Milan Michalek and Cory Conacher.
It’s been a nice stretch of play, but the Sens aren’t ready to rest on their laurels.
“That’s been our goal since Day 1. Obviously we didn’t play the first half the way we wanted to, but things right now are starting to go in our favor. We’re working hard at it.
“We’re getting better every day. If you worry about what you can control, and that’s how we work and how we play, the end result, if we keep winning games, usually you end up in the playoffs because you’re winning more games than you’re losing.”
So good last season, Anderson’s numbers have fallen dramatically in 2013-14, from a save percentage of .941 to .904. But he’s been better lately, with five straight victories to show for it.
And according to coach Paul MacLean, “We’re not spending as much time in our own zone, or turning over as many pucks as we did earlier in the year, which makes it a little easier to manage momentum.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 90
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32