Jan 7, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello was the lone NHL player named to Norway’s Winter Olympic roster on Tuesday.
Zuccarello, 26, is a veteran of international play and has already represented Norway at the Olympics, scoring three points in four contests at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
“The Hobbit” (so named for his diminutive stature) is enjoying a tremendous campaign in New York this season, leading the Rangers with 30 points through 43 games. The 30 points also represent his career high, eclipsing the 23 he scored in his first season with the Blueshirts.
While Zuccarello might be the lone Norwegian NHLer, several of his teammates have National Hockey League experience. Specifically, defensemen Jonas Holos and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen — Holos appeared in 39 games for Colorado during the 2010-11 campaign, while Tollefsen has over 150 games of experience on his resume with Columbus and Philadelphia.
Up front, former Flyers and Oilers forward Patrick Thoresen will represent Norway as well.
Here’s the Norwegian roster in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Lars Haugen, Lars Volden, Steffen Soberg.
Defence: Alexander Bonsaksen, Jonas Holos, Henrik Solberg, Daniel Sorvik, Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Mats Trygg, Henrik Odegaard.
Forwards: Morten Ask, Anders Bastiansen, Robin Dahlstrom, Kristian Forsberg, Mads Hansen, Marius Holtet, Sondre Olden, Ken Andre Olimb, Mathis Olimb, Mats Rosseli Olsen, Niklas Roest, Martin Roymark, Per-Age Skroder, Patrick Thoresen, Mats Zuccarello.
UPDATE: Marius Holtet is sidelined, so Fredrik Lystad Jacobsen will take his place.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)