Jan 7, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello was the lone NHL player named to Norway’s Winter Olympic roster on Tuesday.
Zuccarello, 26, is a veteran of international play and has already represented Norway at the Olympics, scoring three points in four contests at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
“The Hobbit” (so named for his diminutive stature) is enjoying a tremendous campaign in New York this season, leading the Rangers with 30 points through 43 games. The 30 points also represent his career high, eclipsing the 23 he scored in his first season with the Blueshirts.
While Zuccarello might be the lone Norwegian NHLer, several of his teammates have National Hockey League experience. Specifically, defensemen Jonas Holos and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen — Holos appeared in 39 games for Colorado during the 2010-11 campaign, while Tollefsen has over 150 games of experience on his resume with Columbus and Philadelphia.
Up front, former Flyers and Oilers forward Patrick Thoresen will represent Norway as well.
Here’s the Norwegian roster in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Lars Haugen, Lars Volden, Steffen Soberg.
Defence: Alexander Bonsaksen, Jonas Holos, Henrik Solberg, Daniel Sorvik, Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Mats Trygg, Henrik Odegaard.
Forwards: Morten Ask, Anders Bastiansen, Robin Dahlstrom, Kristian Forsberg, Mads Hansen, Marius Holtet, Sondre Olden, Ken Andre Olimb, Mathis Olimb, Mats Rosseli Olsen, Niklas Roest, Martin Roymark, Per-Age Skroder, Patrick Thoresen, Mats Zuccarello.
UPDATE: Marius Holtet is sidelined, so Fredrik Lystad Jacobsen will take his place.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39