Jan 7, 2014, 10:36 AM EST
New York Rangers forward Mats Zuccarello was the lone NHL player named to Norway’s Winter Olympic roster on Tuesday.
Zuccarello, 26, is a veteran of international play and has already represented Norway at the Olympics, scoring three points in four contests at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
“The Hobbit” (so named for his diminutive stature) is enjoying a tremendous campaign in New York this season, leading the Rangers with 30 points through 43 games. The 30 points also represent his career high, eclipsing the 23 he scored in his first season with the Blueshirts.
While Zuccarello might be the lone Norwegian NHLer, several of his teammates have National Hockey League experience. Specifically, defensemen Jonas Holos and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen — Holos appeared in 39 games for Colorado during the 2010-11 campaign, while Tollefsen has over 150 games of experience on his resume with Columbus and Philadelphia.
Up front, former Flyers and Oilers forward Patrick Thoresen will represent Norway as well.
Here’s the Norwegian roster in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Lars Haugen, Lars Volden, Steffen Soberg.
Defence: Alexander Bonsaksen, Jonas Holos, Henrik Solberg, Daniel Sorvik, Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Mats Trygg, Henrik Odegaard.
Forwards: Morten Ask, Anders Bastiansen, Robin Dahlstrom, Kristian Forsberg, Mads Hansen, Marius Holtet, Sondre Olden, Ken Andre Olimb, Mathis Olimb, Mats Rosseli Olsen, Niklas Roest, Martin Roymark, Per-Age Skroder, Patrick Thoresen, Mats Zuccarello.
UPDATE: Marius Holtet is sidelined, so Fredrik Lystad Jacobsen will take his place.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11